(Flash) Video playing experiences on PPC...???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Drew017, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

On my iBook G4, flash video plays oddly well. I have the last Adobe Flash for PPC (10.1... I think) and Perian. My older G3 played video horribly, both flash and pretty much any other format. I guess it's because my G3 had an 800 MHz processor, and my G4 has a 1.33 GHz processor. Any comments/ thoughts? I just want to see what other Mac guys are doing...

PS- I tried Mac-Tubes on my old G3 (now my brother's) but it wasn't much better. He hates trying to watch YouTube, because it's all choppy... and mine is so clean. It has both Adobe and Perian.

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

In mactubes switch the player to quicktime,that would help.
    I don't care too much about youtube, but anytime I want to see a video there I just use mactubes.
    You have a "tweaked" version of flash plugin on the FAQ on my sig, some people claimed to have better results with it...

3. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

mactubes

and youview seem to really need a G4 and altivec for decent playback. With a G3 my best streaming video results were with Seamonkey or bon echo firefox for embedded flash (240p) playback, or use tenfourfox, flashvideoreplacer or download helper extensions to copy the url (up to 360p) then paste it into VLC or quicktime. I also experimented with using mplayer from the commandline, that gave pretty decent results as there was no GUI to get in the way of playing the video file.

Coreplayer also requires a G4.

4. G5 Mac Daddy macrumors member

My G5 tower streams flash videos at 480p without a hiccup.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Actually, I stream a very watchable 720p from Hulu and Amazon just about every evening.

6. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris