Flash video works in WebKit, Not Gecko?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dane D., Jun 16, 2010.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I received a video that I edited and exported as h.264 for Flash. Then imported the video into Flash using one of their built-in play control skins. Exported file and put into web page. I tested it using Safari 5, Firefox 3.09, Camino 2.03, Opera 10.53, iCab 4.2.5, Shiira 2.2 and SeaMonkey 2.04. The only ones that play video are Safari, iCab and Shiira. On the Windows side it only works in IE7. What is happening and how do I get this to work in all browsers.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://fullcontactpaperfootball.com/html/video_copy.html

Still in development stage so the home page doesn't work. I also wondering why I have a thin vertical color bleed on right-side of video box. I have set the Flash artboard to the same size as the video, video is positioned at x=0, y=0.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's the h.264 codec. Mozilla doesn't license it so Gecko based browsers won't play it.

I think.

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to encode without degrading the quality of the video? I tried FLV/F4V, the quality was real bad.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's for when using the new video tag and referencing the h.264 file directly. That shouldn't be an issue here since it's being done through a swf file.

The only issue I'm running into on that site with Firefox (Windows) is that it's requiring a newer version of Flash even though I have a newer version than it is requiring. Adobe refuses to upgrade my plug-in to the latest. I blame the issue on Adobe. Safari on Windows is doing fine.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

It's probably the embedding script.
    ie: it might be the swf that is not working.

Try embedding a different swf (with nothing but a shape on the stage, for example), using your existing script.
    Test it in the various browsers; does it work?

8. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem was the encoding the original video. I went back to Media Encoder and chose FLV/F4V instead of h.264. I used the On2 VP6 codec, now it works. The link I have posted is no longer correct it now is http://fullcontactpaperfootball.com/html/video.html.

This project has been a total learning experience for me. My first CSS site, my first time making a Flash video and working with art that was given to me.