Flash Videos on a G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thegrudge58, Mar 18, 2013.

1. thegrudge58 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm in the market for a new computer for my mom, I'm nearly sold for an older intel iMac but is it possible for a PPC G5 to run flash videos, as my G4 quicksilver from 2001 can not run youtube videos, etc... Would I get a bang for my buck if I were to give my mom a G5 or would I be better off buying her an intel machine.

Thanks in advance

James

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

If she REALLY loves videos and in HD, and she just wants it to "work" in her browsers. She should really go for a iMac (2006-2007) Core or Core 2 duo. What ever is in your budget. These could be had on Ebay for $200 to $300 (2006) $400-$470 (2007)

The core 2 duos are about 100 points behind the G5 quads (for the 2006 model) and the 2007's beat out the G5's as far as I can see, and the intel iMacs are much more supported. (with a core duo being able to run 10.6, and core 2 duo 10.7)

So, you could drop $100-$200 on a G5 Dual core, or for $200-$300 get her a Intel iMac. I think the sweet spot is the Intel iMac, she probably doesn't want to have to deal with workarounds, and hunting down old PPC compatible programs (if she needs to run any)

Hope I helped with the decision.

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Listen, At this day and age a g5 is only for professionals. Meaning that it can do video editing and rendering very well. But it just can't load facebook right out the box its not a consumer machine like it was in 2009. Its a wicked fast machine its just an old unsupported machine

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

If you're buying it for your Mum & she wants something that'll just work without having to 'hack in' Flash Player 11, and scour the internet for older versions of software then it has to be the iMac. It'll run stuff alot smoother under Snow Leopard than the G5 would under Leopard & unless you get the Quad 2.5GHz, it'll be quicker on the numbers side of thing too.

5. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

What they all said. Up above.

The operative word here is "mum". It's not a good idea to saddle mums with an obsolete machine/software. Its one thing to be a PPC enthusiast who loves to get the most out of older hardware, isn't afraid of the darker shoals of the internets. By and large mums, wives and girlfriends (no, I am not being sexist here) just want something that bloody well works. Stick with Snow Leopard if you can, its the XP of mac intel OS'es, will likely be supported for awhile, can still run PowerPC apps if you have some lying around you wish to share. Its also free of the iOS inspired nonsense in Lion/Mountain Lion.

6. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Yep.

It is still a beast for professional uses, but we're 3 OS versions behind, over a full flash version behind, and all the mainstream browsers have abandoned us. Most important is the OS though. This is why Blizzard dropped support for PowerPC. Not because it's too slow/old, but because Apple hasn't updated the OS with current drivers in far too long and it's no longer worth the trouble or in some cases even possible to work around.

If you're buying for a power user, we can work around that. If you're buying for mom, just find her an Intel iMac. A nice 2007 model iMac used is about as much as a good condition Quad G5, and can run the latest OS and browser and flash. Go that route.

7. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Yes it can run flash videos perfectly well... As long as they do not require new versions of flash. A G5 loads facbook aubsolutly fine. If all some one is doing is web browsing and documents a G5 is fine.

Make sure you get your G5 with out liquid cooling. or use the late 2005 model.

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The Quad, which is a late 2005 model, is liquid cooled.

9. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

The late 2005 is not known for coolant issues; all other models are. A late 2005 would work fine, a liquid cooled mac from another year would not.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

The Quads did introduce a new coolant system. However, the failure rate is still far higher than that on say a dual core 2.3.

11. drorpheus macrumors regular

Stop it, you sound stupid and this why everyone here harps on you. Theres only 3 G5 systems out of 15 systems that have liquid cooling, the quad is sealed shut with expoxy so it will never leak, the coolant will dry up and clog, thats it, the dual 2.5 and 2.7 have leaked but that was addressed with the sealed panasonic unit that uses welded copper tubing, you constantly spread misinformed talking points that countless others repeat and make it seem like the G5 is unreliable. I have 3 liquid cooled G5's none of which have leaked nor will they.

The reason G5's overheat is from no one replacing the thermal paste, and no one takes them apart to clean them because there afraid to or too scared/lazy. i took apart my power supply from my june 2004 dual 2.0 and it had a human fist worth of dust bunnys in it. There not hermetically sealed computers that only require spraying canned air at the heatsink fins, especiialy when the processor is underneath the fins and blocked by the socket. Its like buying a car and saying its unreliable because you never took it in to get serviced and the engine quit working from zero maintenence.

12. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

There are countless reports of the dual 2.5 and dual 2.7 leaking everywhere on the interner.

13. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I have a Quad G5 also.. what can I say! Best reliable Mac in the PowerPC family! I have the single LCS which I believe were the more reliable compared to the dual pumps.. this is up to interpretation and opinion.

But I myself haven't seen nor heard of too many problems with coolant leaks on the Quad G5.. dual 2.5, dual 2.7 - YES!! A WHOLE LOT!

14. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Perhaps not the most reliable G5 Mac. And since these statistics were taken shortly after it was released, it would have a higher failure rate than shown.

15. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

She hasn't failed me yet.. My Quad is still going strong.