Flash Videos randomly stopped working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Classick, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Classick macrumors newbie

Late 2008 Macbook Unibody
    2.4 GHz Core 2
    2GB RAM
    250 GB

Just recently (about a month ago), flash videos have not been working for me. I tried them in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari- nothing. I even tried reformatting my MB and reinstalling OS X. Nothing. They won't even work in Windows (boot camp), and could this possibly be a Macbook issue, and not an OS X issue?

2. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

what do you mean they don't work?

3. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

What version of the flash plugin is currently installed?
    Is that the latest?

Also: have you ever installed ClickToFlash?

4. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

I click play, nothing ever happens. It'll look like it's loading but it never starts. I even installed the new flash plug in.

Flash version: 10,1,82,76

What's weird is that they work occasionally. The problem started a few months ago, and they worked fine for about 1-2 days, and I managed to get on to work last night after posting this, but nothing since then.:confused:

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

The fact that it won't work in Windows as well rules out a lot. Is it all streaming videos or just flash? What's your internet connection like (speed/router)?

6. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

YouTube works fine. It really just seems to be flash based videos.

[​IMG]

My set up is basically a Motorola Cable Modem, and DLink DGL4500 wireless router. I also have a Femtocell (Airvana 3G Airave) hooked up, not sure if that matters.

Now I previously had some issues with my router. Basically, it would have trouble communicating with my modem and I'd have to reboot them both in order to get back online. That hasn't happened recently though.

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Just for the sake of diagnosing this, try rebooting the router. If that doesn't work, try hooking up to the router wired. If that doesn't work I'd try hooking up to the modem directly (no router, just an ethernet cable) or try to view the flash videos through someone else's router. I'm jealous of your ISP connection BTW! ;)

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Aren't YouTube videos Flash-based? I don't think your problem has anything to do with Flash.

9. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

YouTube is HTML5 now. Has been for a few months I believe.

I'll try the suggestions above and post results.

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

You're right. One can choose to use the HTML5 player rather than Flash Player for almost all YouTube content. Thanks. Yet another way to avoid Flash. :)

(Still don't think Flash is at the heart of your problem though.)

11. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like it might not be Flash that's the problem. I rebooted my router/modem and now they're working. :eek:

I don't get how I can have fully functional internet, but specific things (flash videos) don't work unless I reboot.

12. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I'm glad it worked! I had it feeling that was it since it wasn't working Win or OS X. The router may have had trouble streaming the content for some reason...

13. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

I might just replace the router with an Airport. Does anyone know if they're good for gaming? Specifically, if they come with an Open or Strict NAT?