@#&@$! Flash!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WGoins88, Mar 16, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Let me just say, I HATE Adobe Flash. It is the scum of the earth... the gum you scrape off your shoe, the spider you smash because it's huge.

Every time I go to a site with Flash on it besides Youtube or Hulu, Safari crashes. At first I thought it was my computer, so I tried the eMac, same Flash version and Leopard...nope.... it crashes too.

Stupid $#*$#* Flash....... :mad:

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Do you have a fresh install of MacOS X with all updates?
    Have you tried updating flash (uninstalling the previous version) with the version (latest) stated in the powerpc faq?
    Have you repaired permission with onyx?
    have you tried a different browser (see the powerpc faq,there are some good ones there)

If you have done everything and nothing works, just install ClickToFlash, but I must say that I don't have any problem in my powermac...despite of the slowness...

3. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a fresh install of MacOS X with all updates?
    Have you tried updating flash (uninstalling the previous version) with the version (latest) stated in the powerpc faq?
    Have you repaired permission with onyx?
    have you tried a different browser (see the powerpc faq,there are some good ones there)

1. Yup, just installed a few weeks ago.
    2. Yup.
    3. Permissions were repaired with Onyx 3 days ago.
    4. Not yet. I like Firefox so maybe I'll try that.

4. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Very very weird...did you removed the previous version?because I had serious issues with flash because of no uninstalling it...
    Try to run AHT to see if everything with your computer is ok...maybe a "begin to die" ram...
    But if everything is really really ok, just try another browser..if you like firefox you will like tenfourfox, but also give omniweb a try..

5. MacHamster68, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

TenFourFox will help, safari cant handle flash well not even on a intel Mac, i mentioned it before even on my iMac G3 flash works well now, thanks to TenFourFox even youtube is possible up to 240p , and for me thats more then enough for watching some little funny video , these guys found a way of offering a modern browser for our PPC Mac's

6. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Holy.... crap. Just installed TenFourFox. What a difference. Went to the same site that caused Safari to crash... no crash. In fact, nothing was skipping whatsoever.:cool:

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

:) what a difference a browser made for PPC can make , no need for faster processors or better GPU's ,just some software thats made to work on the PPC platform needed ;)

8. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I tried TenFourFox, but unfortunately it still seems a bit slow on my iMac G4. YouTube video in 360p kept skipping. Switched to Camino and the same video played perfectly.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

are you sure you downloaded the right version for your processor?, as so far it only improved things in my iMac G3's and my 4 eMac's and in my QS ...

10. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

How about OmniWeb Browser?
    For me it is one of the fatest browsers for ppc.

11. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Yep. I downloaded TenFourFox G4/7450 build 4.0 beta 12 For both my G4s. Much slower than Camino and Safari and struggling with Flash but better than Opera and Firefox. I want to like it, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I do like how the new Firefox UI is more similar to Chrome.

12. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I also tried TenFourFox on my iMac and it was pretty slow as well. I also have Camino and it's ok but the pages seem to load slower than Safari. I'm just using Safari with ClicktoFlash installed and it brings new life to this old iMac

13. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

OmniWeb is great! I love it but it's no better than most others for flash. I use it as my main browser. I have found Safari 4 to be the best flash browser.

For me at least TenFourFox is no better than regular firefox. Must be the different e600 core my G4 7448 has that isn't in other 74xx chips. Thats the only reason I can think my experience would be different.

My ranking of Mac browsers for non-youtube flash video:

1. Safari 4
    2. Safari 5
    3. Omniweb
    4. Camino
    5. Firefox

Another thing to keep in mind is that we all have slightly different PowerPC hardware so our milage with each others experience can easily vary.