Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Hi PPC community,

An EVGA e-GeForce 6200 AGP 256mb card recently came into my possession. I was wondering if this card is flashable to make it run on one of my G4 machines. If it is could you lead me the way to a tutorial or video?

any help is always appreciated!

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hi PPC community,

An EVGA e-GeForce 6200 AGP 256mb card recently came into my possession. I was wondering if this card is flashable to make it run on one of my G4 machines. If it is could you lead me the way to a tutorial or video?

any help is always appreciated!

if it uses DDR2 RAM then it should be flashable with the WANG ROM :)

(although you might need to double check how the RAM/Core clock speeds match up and edit the ROM accordingly)

I was able to flash both the AGP and PCI versions of the PNY GeForce 6200 256MB card this way :)

heres where you will find some good guides and also downloads to all the Mac ROMs etc

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks so much, I'll see if I can give this a try. Only have 1 older pc currently and am not sure if it has an AGP port

Reactions: LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Thanks so much, I'll see if I can give this a try. Only have 1 older pc currently and am not sure if it has an AGP port

Yeah, worth noting most AGP PC's if they have onboard graphics, can only use the onboard graphics if there is nothing in the AGP slot, so you may need a secondary PCI card, although I have gotten away with using the card im flashing as the display out card as well, a few times now :)

if it turns out you do need to tweak the speed of things, you can edit the GPU Core and Memory speed of an NVIDIA ROM using the Utilities found in Graphiccelerator

so you dont have to worry about futzing with a hex editor :)

Reactions: G4fanboy

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, worth noting most AGP PC's if they have onboard graphics, can only use the onboard graphics if there is nothing in the AGP slot, so you may need a secondary PCI card, although I have gotten away with using the card im flashing as the display out card as well, a few times now :)

if it turns out you do need to tweak the speed of things, you can edit the GPU Core and Memory speed of an NVIDIA ROM using the Utilities found in Graphiccelerator

so you dont have to worry about futzing with a hex editor :)

Well looks like it may be a bit. The older pc I had ticked away for things like this does not have an agp slot. I’ll be on the lookout for one and then give it a try.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Well I didnt have any AGP pcs but I did have a oci FX 5200 128mb sitting around. Flashed it and after some trial an error got it to work in one of my G4's. Odd thing though, shows up as 64MB.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Well I didnt have any AGP pcs but I did have a oci FX 5200 128mb sitting around. Flashed it and after some trial an error got it to work in one of my G4's. Odd thing though, shows up as 64MB.

thats because there are 64bit and 128bit GeForce FX 5200's

your 128MB card is a 128bit card if its only showing 64MB

(the 64 vs 128 bit thing is to do with how many bits wide the RAM bus is, by flashing a 64bit ROM onto a 128bit card your only enabling half the VRAM more or less)

so you should just need to flash the 128bit ROM to see all 128MB :)

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
odd the rom I downloaded shows 128bit? I got it from the mac elite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.