Flashcard App for iPhone that will sync with mac/online?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by aRollingStone, Jul 2, 2011.

1. aRollingStone macrumors newbie

Anyone have any recommendations for flashcard apps?

I'm looking for something reasonably simple. I want to be able to put my own pictures and text on flashcards then access them through either my mac (app?) / online website, and through my iphone (4)

I checked out flashcard machine and it seems great but to get unlimited flips will cost about $6

I also checked out flashcard + that syncs with quizlet, it crashes a lot at the moment and to be able to upload your own pictures you need to pay $10 per year for a quizlet membership.

I was wondering if there was anything free around? Otherwise I think I'll go with flashcard machine unless someone can recommend anything better?

2. aRollingStone thread starter macrumors newbie

3. aRollingStone thread starter macrumors newbie

*Ended up making a free quizlet.com account and downloading Eductic*

Great site I found to compare flashcard apps

http://www.flashcardapps.info/

In case anyone is interested

Seems like the big online flashcard sites are quizlet, flashcard exchange and flashcard machine.

To upload pics on quizlet you need to pay $10 a year membership, otherwise normal flashcards are free to upload.

To upload pics on flashcard exchange you need to pay a one off fee of about $20

Flashcard machine is free to do both.

All 3 have other users uploaded flashcards. Flashcard machine seems a bit cluttered with ads (but it is free)

HEAPS of iphone apps sync with quizlet

Flashcard machine has it's own iphone app, but you have to pay a fee if you want to be able to do more then 100 flips (flip flashcards more then 100 times). Unlimited flips is $6

Study blue is a free site with a free app (it has an option to upgrade membership but not to sure what you get). It seems pretty good.

For iPhone

One thing that some flash card apps have is a thing called "spaced repetition system". This means that you see flashcards you struggle with more often than those that you get right.

In the end quizlet seemed to be the easiest to use, so I made a free account (may upgrade to be able to put pictures up in the future) and I found a good free app (Eductic) that can download cards from quizlet, and that has a smart SRS system, so you can rank how easy a card was, as apposed to wether you got it right or wrong, then you will see cards that you struggle with more often etc.

Mental case seemed like a good option as well, it's a $6 app with the mac app costing about $20. I thought I would try something free first though, and I liked the idea of being able to rank how hard the card was (as apposed to black or white, right or wrong srs which is what mental case has)