Flashcard Application Recommendations

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Richdmoore, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Hello, I wanted to get any recommendations on flashcard apps. I need to study up on a new aircraft I am going to pilot, and was looking for any suggestions from others how have actually used these programs.

It would be easier to create the cards on a mac, as typing is much easier than the iphone.

I would also like to be able to upload/transfer the cards to other pc/phone users in the future, either via direct download or a link they can use.

Of course, randomizing the cards, and tracking errors are also important features.

Any suggestions?

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've demo'd a variety of them... and have yet to decide on one.

I want features from a variety of them, i don't want to enter them online, i don't want to enter via a spreadsheet (think: PITA with images), i odn't want to have to join an online paid site.

There have been a few threads on them the past few months - they might have some info you can gleen in them....

3. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Do you need pics on your cards? Audio? Multiple Choice? I've tried five of the major flashcards apps (ones that require a desktop countertop I have never tried). I might be able to recommend if I knew more of what you were looking for.

4. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

5. RobMSantos macrumors newbie

RobMSantos

Thanks for the recommendation. I too would like a FlashCard app for the iPhone with a Desktop component. I'll check yours out.

6. AJATTFan macrumors newbie

I recommend using a spaced repetition flashcard application for faster and more efficient learning such as Mnemosyne (http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/) or Anki (http://ichi2.net/anki/) for the desktop computer.

It's different than traditional flashcard programs in that you grade yourself on how well you answered a card and the program will schedule the card to reappear for review at the next best interval, so you don't waste time with cards you know pretty well. There's been some research done on spaced repetition systems (SRS) and it's proven to be effective.

I just discovered iSRS for the iPhone, which is compatible with Mnemosyne, and I have to say it looks very promising. You can check it out here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=332352818&mt=8

I remember seeing apps that allow you to review Anki cards on your iPhone as well, so try doing a search if you like Anki better.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I bought Flashcards Deluxe last night and now have all of my DD's language therapy cards in there. No more stacks of papers!!

The web interface is not my favorite. I'm not looking forward to doing pictures this way - but it was easy to type the lists for the other stuff and upload. Perhaps the picture part won't be as hard as i'm thinking..... i hope..... LOL!

It also doesn't help another child practice on her computer - but i needed these language cards in and price mattered. Guess i just have to hand over my Touch MORE to the kids 'eh?

8. apple-guy123 macrumors newbie

Study Cards

I would suggest looking at the study cards app especially if you are going to make big stacks of cards because they allow you to upload your cards online through their website. They also have a excel spreadsheet that makes it really easy. You can also download other people's stacks.

9. homeeducatortoo macrumors newbie

Warning about "Flash My Brain" company

:( Terrible customer service and bogus "money back guarantees" seem to characterize the "Flash My Brain" company. The $29.95 version for PC was a bust for us on the first day. It was TOO SLOW! We didn't even get to the iPhone trial yet. The forums show lots of sad company - who never received answers or refunds either. Paypal won't help if you believe "the check is in the mail" for very long. Too bad "Mode of Expression LLC" with "Flash My Brain" give the good vendors a very bad name.

10. flashcardapps macrumors newbie

Hi,

This seems to be an older thread, but people might stumble upon it (as I did).

I maintain a website with all the flashcard apps (bit more than a 100). And you can filter the list by feature (like images on the cards, sounds, studying system,..)

www.flashcardapps.info

Hope it helps.

11. jollibee, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

jollibee macrumors newbie