Flashed 4870 and power supply - mac pro 1.1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dajaj, Jun 6, 2009.

1. dajaj macrumors newbie

Hi there

I have just ordered a xfx 4870 that will be placed into my mac pro 2006 (1.1). I dont have the infamous power cables from ati so i was wondering if it would be possible to use the power from the optical drive. i have two 6-pin pcie power cables that each connects to a 4-pin molex. i addition to these i have a 4-pin molex Y splitter.

With this setup i should be able to feed the card with power but is this dangerous or will the system be unstable? what will happen

I have read numerous threads but they they do not provide me with a clear answer. some guidance would be much appreciated.

best regards dajaj

2. MacVidCards Suspended

the power cables are $12 each....why risk issues with logicboard.....just order the darn things.

the time it took to write your above post could have been better spent on the ATI website

3. ?uestion macrumors newbie

I would just buy the cables, instead of trying to fish the secondary cd drive power under the hard drive slots.

and good luck with ATi's online website, it sucks.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It appears that it realy is no problem to buy the spare part from your AASP. Even in Germany I got it two days after email request for 14€ +VAT.