Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I've got a 1GB XFX 4870 that I flashed using the info from the exhaustive 4870 flashing thread. It's being used in my Mac Pro with a GT120 and I use 3 monitors.

When using Aperture 3 the 2 displays that are attached to the 4870 exhibit graphical glitches when performing adjustments...

The glitches range from a garbled mess of of the original image, to being able to see the previously viewed image very briefly. After I've performed one adjustment on the image the adjustments work as they should. The display with the GT120 performs fine with fairly smooth performance.

This was not an issue with Aperture 2.

Are there any other users of flashed 4870's and Aperture 3 seeing this issue?

I thought that the card could the card be failing but it still gives stellar performance everywhere else including gaming in Windows 7.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
For what its worth (which may not be a lot), I am not having issues with Aperture 3, I am using a flashed XFX card but its a 4890.

I did have loads of garbled images after importing my aperture 2 library but this was (partially) due to Aperture loosing the references to the images. I ended up having to re-generate the previews but haven't had any ongoing issues once a preview has been re-done. This also resulted in some images having the same (messed up) previews. I had this garbled effect before installing the 4890 (with a 2600 card) and have seen once after.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
any problems when only running the 4870?

That was the next thing on my list to try Cindori

For what its worth (which may not be a lot), I am not having issues with Aperture 3, I am using a flashed XFX card but its a 4890.

I did have loads of garbled images after importing my aperture 2 library but this was (partially) due to Aperture loosing the references to the images. I ended up having to re-generate the previews but haven't had any ongoing issues once a preview has been re-done. This also resulted in some images having the same (messed up) previews. I had this garbled effect before installing the 4890 (with a 2600 card) and have seen once after.

I regenerated all previews & thumbnails after import to see if that was the issue but it sadly remains.

I'll pop out the GT120 now and post back with findings.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Looks like the combination of cards is to blame... The 4870 on it's own is working as it should!

Any ideas as to how to get them both to play nice Cindori?

I've only been using the GT120 to drive a Dell S2409 for movies using Plex so it's no massive headache if I just have to remove the card forever

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I have no idea on how to fix, it lies within aperture...

you could hang out a few weeks and then go 5870 I guess.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I have no idea on how to fix, it lies within aperture...

you could hang out a few weeks and then go 5870 I guess.

Thanks for the reply Sir.

I'll keep my peepers open for developments on the 5870 front and also try both cards after Aperture gets an update.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Not sure if this was down to the update to Aperture 3.0.1 but I tried the GT120 in slot 4 today - the issue persisted. Popped it into slot 2 and all is working well.

I originally had the GT120 in slot 3 so that I had some airflow between it and the 4870 - I never thought of changing slots until today...

Is it wise to have both cards on top of each other? Will there be any heat issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.