Flashed 5770 won't work in 10.7.4 (works in 10.6.8) MP 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mustang_dvs, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mustang_dvs, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Back in November, I bought an XFX ZNFC 5770 and flashed it (using these instructions) for use in my Mac Pro 1,1. (Now an octo "2,1")

When I first booted into 10.6.8, the display remained blank and the machine (via Remote Desktop) performed as though the CPUs were performing all the graphics work (it took 20 minutes to type in my password on the login screen).

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I resolved the problem by using the 10.6.8 ATI Driver Patch from here: http://macprovideocards.com/recovering10-6-8 (a copy of the file sits in my 'Downloads' folder, which makes me think that was the solution, since ATY_Init is nowhere to be found on the machine).

All was fine until I decided to "upgrade" the machine from 10.6.8 to 10.7.4, this morning (thankfully, using a cloned boot drive).

When booting into 10.7.4, it's even worse than the original issue in 10.6.8: the machine takes 20 minutes for the login window to appear (via Remote Desktop -- the display is blank), an hour for the password field to appear and the password itself never begins to appear in the field. Booting back into 10.6.8 proves the card is working. Dragging ATY_Init into the Lion boot drive's /System/Library/Extensions/ directory has no effect.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done wrong (which tells me it's something simple that I've overlooked -- I always seek the complex explanation). Should I just restore the ROM from the original file and hope that it's supported in 10.7.4/10.8 and kiss old, reliable Snow Leopard goodbye?

2. mustang_dvs thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I decided to troubleshoot by reflashing the original ROM.

Without the ATY_Init, the original ROM resulted in black screens in both 10.6.8 and 10.7.4, with System Profiler reporting it as a generic GPU.

Using the ROM from this post, it boots into 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 properly, without ATY_Init installed. (If it had failed, I would have installed the kext, next).

I wonder if, somehow, I'd managed to build a 64-bit only ROM.