Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcwickerham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Hi all, first post so bear with me. After lots and lots of reading I went for flashed Sapphire 4870 512 off eBay for my Mac Pro 1,1 running SL 10.6.2, with two Viewsonic VP2030b. The guy selling the card had sold flashed cards before and had 100% feedback, said the card worked with dual monitors and supported SL. Got the card, installed it without a problem, but could not get it to work with both monitors. Second monitor said no signal on both DVI channels. Checked all the wires, reinstalled, rebooted, no luck. Plugged both into my 7300GT, no issues at all. At one point, I got the left monitor to boot as the extended desktop, showing the dock but not showing the HDD or icons (which should be on the right screen), but the right screen still showed no signal and was black. Used the gather windows botton in the display preferences to see if adjusting settings helped, still nothing. Detect displays button was no help either. Is this a compatibility problem on my end or a flashing problem on his? Contacted him and he said he had no issues with his MP 1,1 and two 20" Apple displays. Anyone have any ideas? Its a beautiful card, just want it to work...

GMink

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Go to this thread and see if you can find your card listed in the bios download, if you can find it then just try to reflash it using the ATI tool. You wont even have to go through the rest of the steps just reflash with the bios that matches your card.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/713428/

bcwickerham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
My concern is that if I try reflashing using the ATI tool and it doesn't work, I wont be able to return the item as a result of my tinkering. When it comes to flashing, I'm a complete newb, which is why I bought one that came flashed in the first place. If you think it'll help, Ill give it a go, but at the end of the day returning it isn't a complete loss. Also, if I just flash it using the provided roms as you say, I can do that step in OSX right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.