Flashed x850 PE video card woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spf2, Feb 16, 2016.

1. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

I was installing Leopard Webkit this weekend and something bizzare happened. After hitting Y on the terminal when prompted during the install. My screen went black and the fan on the flashed x850 PE went full blast. I lost video and it hasn't worked since. I didn't have any issues with the card before. On reboot, the fan on the video card blows at full blast instead of slowing down once the system is booted. I decided to troubleshoot. I tried to boot into Tiger and checked if the video card is detected. Ati Displays does not detect it anymore either. Did somehow installing Webkit kill my card or was it a coincidence that the video card died at the specific moment or did it mess up something within Leopard. If so, why do I have the same behavior in Tiger. Not sure what to do now.

2. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Sounds like the card failed, you have to remember many computer parts(motherboards/video cards/PCI cards, etc) from late 2003-2005 suffered capacitor failure in varying degrees--sometimes they'll fail silently(computer abruptly stops working), capacitor leakage which slowly damages the board or epic loud pop damaging anything near it. Lost an AGP Radeon 9550 from a bad capacitor.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I agree that it sounds like a hardware issue, though it seems odd that it would occur at the same time as an installation. I would examine the card. You could also try backing up and reflashing, though I don't know if that is possible if the card is not recognized.

4. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

I'll try it in the PC that I originally flashed the card in. It might be a while since I don't have access to the PC at the moment.