FlashForward - any good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ss957916, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

It's just starting in England on Channel Five (our crap channel) so not sure if it's worth bothering with.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I really enjoyed the first episode and will definitely be giving it another go this week.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I enjoyed it, already set up the Season pass on my DVR.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I was kind of mixed on it, it's a great concept but the way it played out was kind of stupid and really fake. It's kind of hard for me to explain but the way they were figuring things out so quickly seemed really fake. Like how they knew within 2 or 3 hours that everyone had blacked out at the same exact time for exactly 2:17....that and a few other things.... Maybe it's just me but it seemed a little fake, at least humor us a bit. Anyway I dis set the season to record on my DVR so I'll give it another shot since I like the concept so much

6. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought it was me that started this thread.

To conclude - I thought it was crap and haven't bothered with it since. No wonder BBC, ITV and Channel Four passed on this one.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yeah I gave it a shot but I lost interest. The acting was awful and the story just irritated me.

The birds thing I posted above made me think of it though.

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's been off air for months. Starts again on the 18th I think. I'll defo watch the first couple of episodes see if it's got any better !!

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

'Our crap channel' haha very true. I think Channel M beats Five in it's level of crapola :D

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

I think its outstanding.

is it overacted? yes, possibly leaning a bit on the poorly acted.

where i disagree with the comments here is i think the story is great. I am a huge fan of these kind of shows. Lost is a perfect example, i am obsessed with lost. however this show is not as good as lost and is definitely riding the wave that lost has created, i believe it is worth watching. again i am very entertained by these kinds of shows so if you like mystery stories and like shows like lost and fringe you should definitely give it a shot. because in the end you've only really wasted a couple of hours.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Got bored on the 5th episode. Just like on Lost. And Invasion. And house. And Scrubs.

They are all the same, begin brilliantly, and then slip into a coma.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, my wife and I really like FlashForward.

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've been watching FlashForward since the first episode and I love it. It's not as good as Lost, but it's really good.

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

If you gave up on Lost at the 5th episode, you completely missed what makes that show so good.

P-Worm

16. iOrlando macrumors 68000

those two girls on flash forward make me watch it.

the one who's mom is a psycho and who volunteers in the hospital and the one with the peg leg.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I tried to watch this show. It bored me silly, and I like this kind of thing. I'd rather watch Fringe, which I like a lot.

18. iOrlando macrumors 68000

my flash forward theory is that the events that are shown to be "present day" on the show is actually the past. The true "present day" is actually the scene that occurred in the flash forward. Remember when Mark (the lead character was on the phone with that guy who took his wife. He was saying we are running out of time, another flash forward is going to happen. (that flash forward that he was worried about did happen and cause the flash forward that has been shown on the show).

When the blackout occurred, that was time being sent backwards to the "present day" that is on the show.

For example, if you are dead 5 months from now, when you go back in time, you would still be alive but you have no "present day" vision since you were dead.

the "special rings" let those who wear it travel back to the past, essentially time travel. They are only people doing the actual time traveling.

this might explain how these guys with guns tried to attack the group when they were in DC. how they did know they were going to be in that exact location in the garage.

of course this theory opens up more holes and unknowns but I got to think it has to do something revolving around this in some way.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Wow, that's a good theory. I never thought of it that way.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

its definitely interesting but Al (the FBI agent that killed himself) dying kind of negates it totally. if that hadnt happened it would be a pretty awesome theory.

i think my new favorite character after the latest episode is Aaron. He's just a bad ass.

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah i know...Al's situation complicates things (its actually mainly the one problem I have been running into) and I think that is a big deal. he so far is the only person to actively "change" his flash-forward. I think he will actually come back to play a part in this show somehow.

ok..so lets look at a world and give it two options:

plan a) have one flash forward occur and thats that.

plan b) what if people are successful in having another flash forward occur after the initial flash forward? (so the people that caused the initial flash forward are able to cause another flash forward..since they are the only "time travelers" (this sort of explains why the bad guys wanted to know some info on how the flash forward occurred...maybe the initial flash forward was an accident and they dont know how they actually did it?...so they are chasing after the clues that are present to them in order to try to make it happen again).

so if another flash forward can be caused...(in the past or said another way during the show's present day)..your real-time vision can no longer occur...but you would need an outside force (a time traveler) to disrupt that sequence of events because the "real-time" already reflects what happened. This sort of explains how the characters seem to chase after the future (only doing things that they remember in the flash foward). (for example, that doctor lady could have seen that child and his dad away so she wouldn't begin to fall for him, but thats not what happened..the future already happened..so their flash forwards will occur. (again AL comes back here to mess things up).

So if a time-traveler (which again can very well be the bad guys here) are successful in getting another flash forward to occur, everything is changed and Al's situation can be somewhat altered since we now go back into time again when he was still alive and his flash forward would be just black (since he had died). YOu can think of this as say a new abc flash forward series with everyone's new flash forward being the time that existed after the initial flash forward. You see what is going on here. A chain is occurring. If we can get that chain to wrap around itself...then AL can still be able to kill that mother of two.

so the main point of the show (i think) is another flash forward needs to occur in order for the original flash forward not to happen. By having this new flash forward occur (you are in essence changing the actual timeline of the world..and you will never see the future (aka present day). - sort of like back to the future..if marty kissed his mother..he would never exist since the time traveler impacted the future.

if anyone follows this...where are my holes in this argument?

you could also make the argument that everyone's flash forward already entails a world where another flash forward occurs. So another flash forward is already included in the future. (in no ones flash forward do they spend time saying 2 flash forwards have occurred or anything of that sort so you cant say that it cant happen).

everything happens for a reason and having AL kill himself i think plays a role here.

looking at this from hollywood's point of view. i also think they wrote the show in such a way that can it finish it in 3 seasons or finish it in 8 seasons, depending on ratings, so having some sort of chain/loop effect would work very well in this theory. For example, if i am the writer...i write the show from plot a to plot b. boom. if someone says we need another season. i can insert another plot between a and b and boom my show just got extended by a season. (just like lost). and it would all fit perfectly and not seem like i am stretching here.

22. Dany M macrumors 6502

It has bad casting, weird musical cues that are not inventive, just bore some.

We are never shown the destruction or death except when we flash back in a memory or if a story is being told. The story does have some interesting ideas but charlie from lost is not a villian, he is a terrible miscast.

23. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i follow what you are saying but i dont think its that defined. Meaning i dont think it will be limited to the one or two flashes.

to me the two most important clues as to what is going were given by Simon and Lloyd about the many worlds interpretation. Simon to the woman on the train when he talks about the tiny cat and the poisonous sardine. (BTW best pick up line ever haha.;)) Then Lloyd talks to Olivia about it when they are discussing their almost Harvard encounter.

The has a definite significance to the show. The interesting thing is like Simon says both possibilities occur until the person opens their hand to find out what happened. What the flash forwards have done is prematurely opened the hand allowing everyone to see and define their possibilities. With the addition of Lloyd's explanation i believe that since we make thousands of choices a day that lead us to a certain point in our life it is possible to change what we saw when the hand opened.

Think of it this way we wake up everyday and we decide not to kill ourselves. According to the Many Worlds interpretation there is a universe out there where that IS what we decided to do. For obvious reasons this universe would end. So take the people that didnt see anything in their flashforwards, its believed that they will be dead. Meaning that this universe that we are watching as the actual show is the end for them. the other cool part about the universe we are watching is its also the universe that a chain of decisions and events occurred that caused the blackout in the first place. Technically there are universes out there that the black out didnt happen. So the show's universe has entered its own realm.

Im going to stop because my head hurts. I cant type as fast as i am thinking of this. i will try and take a little time and organize my thoughts and come back ha.