Flashing 4870 Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NEUengineer, Aug 5, 2010.

1. NEUengineer macrumors member

I have a MacPro 1.1 and I'm trying to flash an XFX ZWFC 4870 1GB card. When I plug in the card to slot 2 with both extra power cables in, I get a kernal panic and have to shut down. Without the power cables in, the fan goes nuts and my computer starts, but the card does not appear in the systems profile.

After doing some reading, it appears that I need to flash it in DOS somehow? If so, how the heck do I do that?

As a side note, i found this program called DOSbox. Can i use that to flash the card?

2. audio_inside macrumors regular

Read this thread first. Then read this one. And you can dip into the initial and later posts of this behemoth thread.

Note which version (E1? G1? et al) of the ZWFC card you've got. The ROMs are often quite specific for each version.

Do you still have your old graphics card? You'll probably need that installed and working alongside the 4870 for this operation.

-Steve

3. NEUengineer thread starter macrumors member

I have the G1 version of the card and my 7300 card is working fine. However i tried to install windows xp on a partition last night and it installed, but keeps booting up from the install disk and trying to install it again. I cannot get to the Mac os. I tried everhing. Held down option, forced the cd to eject with the button and put in the leopard disk, nada. It seems to be stuck in windows mode. I even took out all the hard drives and booted it up. It looks Like a pc and says no bootable drive. Ugh

4. freejazz-man macrumors regular

It sounds like you might've installed windows over your OSX partition?

5. NEUengineer thread starter macrumors member

I made sure that i installed it on the new partition that i made just for windows. The weird thing is that it does this even when i put in a different hard drive with os 10.3 and unplug the main HD. It's like bootcamp set the commuter into PC mode and it won't get out of it.

6. NEUengineer thread starter macrumors member

7. NEUengineer thread starter macrumors member

Actually resetting the pram worked. It just took me forever to realize that i had to connect my keyboard directly to the front usb port of the computer. I had it going into my apple monitor first, and then to the back of the computer. Now i guess i'm back to ground zero trying to flash this card in windows...