flashing 8800gt in windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thirty6chambers, May 14, 2008.

1. thirty6chambers macrumors newbie

Not 100% clear after reading the threads.

Is it okay to run windowsxp with the 8800gt then use cmd.exe and flash the card with the efi32 rom? I have freedos mounted on a cd for boot but the problem is everytime that I boot from the cd, my keyboard stops working.

Also, is my old video card suppose to be hooked up to the monitor in slot 2 or can I just run 8800gt only in slot 1? Any help is appreciated.

2. Executor macrumors member

Not a good idea. As far as I know the flashing utilities need a real DOS environment. WinXP wont work. Furthermore the way I did it was by removing the old video card and having the 8800GT on slot 2. Once everything is working you may put the old card back.

3. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Anyone else have this problem? I'm running Vista 32 bit on my mac pro with the stock configured 8800gt. Everything works fine except the video. I have a 24" 1920 x 1200 lcd that works fine in os x but when I boot up Vista and have the resolution maxed at 1920 x 1200 it blow and stretches everything and the desktop/ start bar goes off the screen to the right.

I have tried updating the vista drivers in multiple ways and, unfortunately, because the LCD is running DVI-D won't let me access the picture controls. It won't even auto config. Weird if you ask me.

Any help would be great.

4. Chocomonsters macrumors member

shinchook, you should consider starting separate thread as your question is not related to OP's question.

Goto www.guru3D.com and download most recent beta ForceWare driver (mirrored from Nvidia website). These beta drivers are directly Nvidia and they are stable.

You should be able to access Windows "display settings" or "Nvidia control panel" from control panel.

Just make sure you have correct monitor showing and dont have secondary monitor enable with "extend the desktop onto this monitor"

5. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

sorry for posting here, I did make another post for this but got now answers. I figured it would be better to try and get an answer on a post that was somewhat related. Thanks

6. almostinsane macrumors regular

It wont work. DOS in Windows doesn't have direct access to the hardware.