Flashing finder screen on startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tedc123, Jan 1, 2008.

1. tedc123 macrumors newbie

Have 10.4.11. Updated Java, security, and quicktime today. When I restarted I got a flashing screen with all of my icons. If I select something from the dock, it will open the corresponding program and then crash. I've tried resetting the PRAM and holding shift down while starting.

TIA,

Ted

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you boot into Safe Mode (hold SHIFT at startup), does it still have this problem?

3. tedc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I hold the shift key down (I held it for @ 2 minutes) I get a screen with an apple in the middle and a spinning circle below that--it's been doing that for @ 10 minutes now.

Oops, I spoke too soon, just went downstairs and looked at the screen and it says Darwin/BSD.

Yesterday, I logged in, but then did not know what command to give after logging in.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. tedc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

unable to start from cd

Thanks for all the tips. So far, I have been unable to start from cd. I have held the c key during start up, but it takes me to my start up screen which, of course, is still flashing. I can see the image for the cd disk but am unable to choose it.

Any suggestions for commands in Darwin?

TIA,

Ted

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What happens if you press OPTION instead of C?

7. tedc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Option key

Well something happened differently initially. I got a screen with a computer in the center with an X and a right arrow. Hit the computer in the center and then the right arrow and I'm back to my flashing screen. BTW, I've tried two different start up disks, so that's not the problem.

Is there anything I can do with that Darwin screen?

Ted

8. tedc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution Apple Store Genius Bar

Ended up having to take my PowerBook G4 into the apple store. Fortunately, Edwardo was very patient. Initially he thought the drive would have to be reformated, but it turns out that's because the drive he hooked up to analyze mine was using Leopard. I was ready to have him do whatever was necessary. He took the extra step of trying a drive with Tiger (same as my computer) and was able to reinstall everything. Still had the flashing screen, which Edwardo had never seen, so he deleted all preferences. That didn't do the trick so he deleted finder. Computer now seems to be working. Thanks for all your help and in case you didn't know the Genius Bar inside apple stores is FREE. Wow. Apple is a great company!!!!