Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Hello. I have spent two days reading forums nothing is working.

If I try to press the option key nothing happens.
Command v ==== nothing
command s ==== nothing

Holding the C key to re-install from the disk still nothing.

Holding option shows the mouse but nothing else.

Any thoughts? or advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hello. I have spent two days reading forums nothing is working.

If I try to press the option key nothing happens.
Command v ==== nothing
command s ==== nothing

Holding the C key to re-install from the disk still nothing.

Holding option shows the mouse but nothing else.

Any thoughts? or advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

Probably a crashed HD, what version of OS X is installed??? If Lion or ML then hold down the Option key after hearing the startup tone. Then choose the recovery partition and run Disk Utilities. Run Repair Disk and see if the HD reports errors or not.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I tried that

I tried the option key at startup nothing shows up. but the mouse icon. then freezes

5.1 startup disk.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
command screen

Are there any tricks so I can get it to the black screen with white text. To run the disk check?

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Was hoping to install OS to external drive.

Is there a way to install the OS to an external drive? My startup while pressing C is not working. any work a rounds? Thanks for any help.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
No need to start a new thread. More information might help.

Flashing Folder at start-up means the Computer can't find a valid Operating System. Which Operating System are you using. Is that "5.1 Start-up Disk" you mentioned the OS you're using (10.5.1) Leopard? If so, you should be able to boot off your DVD that came with the iMac by inserting the DVD, then holding Option when booting. What year is the iMac?

As mentioned before, it does sound like your HDD failed. Have you used the Optical drive recently? Depending on the OS involved, you could install the OS onto an external drive using any Mac that would run that same Operating System.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
HDD Toast

Yes I think my hard drive is toast.

When I press the option I only get the mouse pointer. see attachment.

I'm trying to boot to the dvd that has the mac os x 10.5.4.

Also safe mode does not work and only give me the flashing folder.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• 2013-05-20 10.43.37.jpg
    2013-05-20 10.43.37.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 97

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Safe Mode, or Verbose Mode will only work if the computer can find a valid Operating System. If it won't boot off the DVD that came with it using the method described above, it could have other issues, such as a non working Optical drive or even a Logic Board problem.

Did you try holding the Option key when booting from the DVD?

If it's just a HDD failure, and the Optical Drive doesn't work you'd need a second, similar year (2006-2008 I think) mac to install the OS onto an external drive.

I assume from the postings, you don't have a bootable backup.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
No need to start a new thread. More information might help.

Flashing Folder at start-up means the Computer can't find a valid Operating System. Which Operating System are you using. Is that "5.1 Start-up Disk" you mentioned the OS you're using (10.5.1) Leopard? If so, you should be able to boot off your DVD that came with the iMac by inserting the DVD, then holding Option when booting. What year is the iMac?

As mentioned before, it does sound like your HDD failed. Have you used the Optical drive recently? Depending on the OS involved, you could install the OS onto an external drive using any Mac that would run that same Operating System.

I had used the optical drive recently when the computer was working. It ejects and spins up that I can hear. Just when I press the option I get nothing but the screen shot above. No selection of bootable drives with a arrow underneath each one.

IF I press C at startup all I get is a flashing folder with a question mark! I do hear a noise. chug... chug... chug.. Like a bad hard drive, but its the cd. I let it make that noise for 4 minutes nothing.

---------
Are there any tricks to get to the command prompt. Command S and command V don't work.

Thanks again for any help or ideas.

Attachments

• 581112_10201149172870984_1442217863_n.jpg
    581112_10201149172870984_1442217863_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 78

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard? I have found that the wireless keyboard can sometimes be a problem when trying to use startup options.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
That attachment picture is what you're supposed to get when you hold down option at boot. Choose the DVD with the OS on it, or the bootable backup. Use the arrow keys to get to it (select it), or use the wired mouse, then hit Return key (enter).

When holding down the option key at boot, the screen will show you any bootable OS. Your internal is apparently corrupt, so chose the DVD or External Backup.

The DVD will be slow booting, but give it time. The firewire drive will be quicker, but still slower than the internal was.

Booting into Single User Mode or Verbose Mode will only occur once a bootable OS is found by the EFI boot routine.

Last edited:

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I only have a mouse pointer, nothing else. the second image of the two hard drives, one fire wire and cd I got off the internet to show that I don't see them. I had in the past and a few times when all this started they did showup but don't anymore when I choose the option at startup. Not using wireless keyboard on Mac OS x 5.6

Attachments

• mac2.jpg
    mac2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 225
  • mac1.jpg
    mac1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Have you tried disconnecting ALL peripherals, including your mouse and keyboard, and rebooting? Sometimes a problem peripheral can cause these symptoms. If the system boots normally, try reconnecting the keyboard and mouse, and then each peripheral independently. If this doesn't work, remove any non Apple RAM from the iMac and try to boot again. Also be sure all RAM is seated properly.

If that doesn't help, you can try resetting the SMC, or resetting PRAM, although it doesn't sound like a SMC or PRAM issue. Regardless, sometimes resetting them helps.

If none of this works, then a visit to Apple for a diagnosis might be in order. It still sounds like a HDD failure, which can be the source of this problem.

waynelambright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Thanks. I did both of these still nothing.

resetting the SMC
resetting PRAM

I'm most surprised that the DVD won't try to install the Operating system. Very weird.

----------

My big concern now is that if my hard drive is bad, and I go get a new one installed, how will Install the Operating system if the dvd does not read the installation disk of the Operating system 5.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.