Flashing "Folder-?" Icon NO BOOT UP!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vardor, Apr 13, 2008.

1. vardor macrumors newbie

hey people

my mac started telling me there was not enough room on the startup disk (HD) to save things or do other operations and i must delete files to make room.

being not very savvy, i went to "system preferences" then to "starup disk" then it asked me if i want the computer to start up using OS X or some other option i cannot remember...once again being not savvy and rather green i selected OS X ("oh well...i have OS X so that must be the choice..")

then i was told to restart, i did, and instead of booting up, i get a grey screen with an flashing icon of a folder with a question mark in it in the middle of the grey screen.

and i cannot do anything!!!!!

so far, I:

- tried every buitton on the keyboard...no change

- tried shutting it off and turning it back on...no change

- tried turning it on and holding the on button until the computer emitted an extended pitch...no change

please help!

vardor:confused:

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Boot the computer again and hold down the ⌥ (alt/option) key. This will bring up the boot menu. From here you can choose your boot disk. If you have more than one bootable disk attached, it'll be the volume which serves as your main hard disk in Mac OS, by default named Macintosh HD.

If choosing your boot disk doesn't work this way, insert your Mac OS X Install DVD and, while booting, hold down the C key to boot from the Optical Drive. Alternatively you can use the ⌥ key to bring up the boot menu again, hopefully this time including your boot disks and the DVD Installer.

From the DVD you can then choose your Startup Disk, labelled something like

10.5.2 on Macintosh HD

on a default install of Leopard with latest updates.

Good luck :)