Flashing Folder on start-up, after partitioning with BootCamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Seraph83, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Seraph83 macrumors newbie

I recently installed a partition to my mac mini using BootCamp, but leaving the Windows installation til a later date as I'd left the authentication info in the studio!

On booting up my mac the next day I'm greeted with a flashing missing OS symbol instead of the apple logo. :apple:

I've tried resetting the mac or trying to force it to start a network startup up but to no avail. I attempted to run from the installation disc but it isn't responding to holding don 'c' to run from the disc. However I'm running 10.5, but that was an upgrade from a colleagues disc and the only installation disc I have is 10.4. I can get that disc but may take time!

The only interactivity I can get from the keyboard is upon pressing 'option' I'm asked to enter a password, but I don't know what password it's after?! :confused:

If anyone could give me hints or assistance I'd be extremely grateful, as I'd hate to think I'm now the proud owner of a £400 paper-weight! :mad:

K.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

try holding the option (alt) key as it boots.

3. Seraph83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that, but I just get a image of a lock and a password entry bar?! And I've already tried the administrator password??

K.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sounds like you have a firmware password set. Do you know it?

5. Seraph83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I don't someone had there hands on the mac for a month before I got a hold of it! I erased their OS and installed my own?!

K.