Flashing folder with a question mark

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Hi, my friend has an old macbook pro with Leopard installed. Recently it stopped booting up and started displaying a flashing folder icon with a question mark in it after few seconds of a empty white screen. In the same time, it produces a clicking noise as well.

He has lost his install disks as well.

Any suggestions/tips would would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi, my friend has an old macbook pro with Leopard installed. Recently it stopped booting up and started displaying a flashing folder icon with a question mark in it after few seconds of a empty white screen. In the same time, it produces a clicking noise as well.
This may help, if you haven't seen them already:
He has lost his install disks as well.
He can order replacement discs for his model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
This may help, if you haven't seen them already:

He can order replacement discs for his model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).
Thanks for the reply. I followed almost all instructions there but still I couldn't get it working.

----------

Most likely the HDD has died.
Thank you for replying here. Yes, I will get the HDD replaced.

Grazey16

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Grazey

My macbook OSX 10.5 has done this twice. First time I tried all the tips and tricks without formatting the HD. All no good. I left it untouched for some weeks and then it came good on switch on. This morning same thing - grey folder of death and HD clicking. Sounded like the drive was stuck or hunting. I then thumped the MacBook on my knee and it booted up normally.
It is quite probable that eventually I will have to make the treck to the Apple shop for a new computer when my "fix' fails. Sometimes brute force works when all else fails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.