Flashing folder with a question mark

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dacoolest, Oct 27, 2012.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

Hi, my friend has an old macbook pro with Leopard installed. Recently it stopped booting up and started displaying a flashing folder icon with a question mark in it after few seconds of a empty white screen. In the same time, it produces a clicking noise as well.

He has lost his install disks as well.

Any suggestions/tips would would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help, if you haven't seen them already:
    He can order replacement discs for his model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

4. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I followed almost all instructions there but still I couldn't get it working.

----------

Thank you for replying here. Yes, I will get the HDD replaced.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hmm, last thing one can suspect.

A flashing question mark shows up because it can not find a valid OS install, reinstall the OS.

6. Grazey16 macrumors newbie

Grazey

My macbook OSX 10.5 has done this twice. First time I tried all the tips and tricks without formatting the HD. All no good. I left it untouched for some weeks and then it came good on switch on. This morning same thing - grey folder of death and HD clicking. Sounded like the drive was stuck or hunting. I then thumped the MacBook on my knee and it booted up normally.
    It is quite probable that eventually I will have to make the treck to the Apple shop for a new computer when my "fix' fails. Sometimes brute force works when all else fails.