flashing folder with question mark

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tekno, Jul 3, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

My 2011 MBA suddenly froze and when restarted had a flashing folder. I did internet recovery and followed Apples instructions of repairing the disk in disk utilities, except there doesn't appear to be a disk to repair.

I've run out of ideas. Any guesses on the problem and what I should do next?

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It might be ( "quite sure" ) a memory issue...
    Take it to a store and let some technician check it out.

3. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Get to your nearest genius, but sounds like you've got a deadbook air on your hands.

4. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh. Great.

Do I have to go to an Apple Store? Looking online, the earliest 'genius' appointment is Friday afternoon.

5. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

They have special genius hard drives full of diagnostic genius tools that can often pretty specifically genius what's going on with your MBA's SSD, better than anyone can tell you online anyway, so it's a good idea.

6. lucidlee macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen to my iMac a few years back - its was the harddrive that had died.
    I wish you better luck than I had at the apple store, as it took 3 attempts to get them to fix it.
    ...on the plus side, they replaced every other component before trying the hard drive, so pretty much got a new mac built from them!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like a dead drive.

8. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took it to an Apple authorised repair place and was told it was two days within warranty! The guy mentioned the logic board cos he couldn't even get it to connect to their diagnostic system or something.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's a close one! Maybe consider purchasing AppleCare?

That said, it sounds like an SSD died, but it could as well be a malfunctioning motherboard.

10. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

well, good for you if you're still under warranty!
    hope you had been using Time Machine on a regular basis (one of the most fantastic tools on the mac actually)