Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
First issue: I bought an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro card for my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.

I followed all the instructions and placed the correct ROM into the folder for the flasher. Ran the flasher via VNC from my iMac and it said something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to flash 'M300' to this card?"

Not sure what that meant, but I knew from several online sources that I had downloaded what should have been the correct ROM, and placed it in the correct folder for the flash tool. Since I did that, I went ahead and clicked Yes and it flashed the "M300" ROM to the card.

Now, I get no picture, and when the ATI card is installed, the computer does not see it. It simply tells me on System Profiler that I have no graphics card installed. The tape is still on the pins so I know that's not the issue. So I need some help figuring out what "M300" is and if there is any way I can get my QS to recognize this card again and try the steps all over.

Second issue: I bought a SIL3512 SATA controller card, and it seems to be from Silicon Image brand. I downloaded the correct flasher and when I ran it via Terminal, it even stated specifically which Vendor and Product IDs are compatible with the flasher. My card matched it, according to System Profiler.

When running the flasher, however, it errors out with something like "Lineout error" or "Error line ___" (the ___ being any random number). Forgive me if it is way off, but I am away from home and that is the best I can remember. I also read online somewhere that SIL3512 is not compatible with the QS, but the 3112 is? Can anyone chime in on that, or what I may be doing wrong?

Your help is appreciated. :)

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
If you have a PC and PCI -card you can most likely restore the original rom or try a new Mac rom. Techpowerup hosts large collection of PC roms, probably for your card also.

9800pro is probably much easier to flash since I remember that the most common version of it was also the most compatible for flashing and all ports for example worked.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Well, I only have one PC at home and it does not have the correct slot. :(

And, rather than buying a PC to flash it I'd just get a 9800 Pro and try to flash it I guess. I am hoping that it somehow shows back up to flash it, but I don't think it will. So I will probably go with a Radeon 9800 Pro and try flashing it. And then sell this 9700 since I really have nothing else to do with it.

Thanks. :) Now to figure out what to do with the SIL3512 card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.