Flashing ? on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gmanrules123, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gmanrules123 macrumors newbie

I've had my mac for about a year after someone gave it to me. I think it's pretty old, I'd say about 5 years maybe. Its using snow leopard right now. I was on safari yesterday and once I opened my email the computer froze. Mouse and everything. So I held the power button down to turn it off and when I turned it back on there was a flashing folder with a ? on it.

I looked this up on google but every thing I found told me to put a disk in the computer. I can't do this because I dont have the disk and the disk drive is broken anyway. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It means that the HDD is either going or the files on the HDD are corrupted or not readable thus preventing the computer from finding an OS or HDD. At this point, I don't think it's worth it to spend time troubleshooting with so much gone bad.

3. gmanrules123 thread starter macrumors newbie

There has to be a way. Even a way to completely restore the computer would be fine.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It means the computer can't find an operating system or the hard drive/files on it are corrupt.

5. gmanrules123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how to I fix it?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's an older Mac, the only way at this point would to have a second Mac with FireWire 400 to use through Target Disk Mode. Without a working SuperDrive, there's not much you can do.

7. franko v macrumors member

franko v

This happened to my mid-2007 MacBook -

I replaced it in 2008 (I had to pay for a new HDD) - but I happened upon this article a few months ago...

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/hd/repairextension/

I'm not sure if your MacBook falls under this window, or even if it does whether you NOT being the original owner can get it replaced, BUT it doesn't hurt to find out from Apple.