Flashing orange light

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by versacejohn, Feb 2, 2009.

1. versacejohn macrumors newbie

My Apple TV has started flashing an orange light, and the tv says there is not signal, is it dead or can it be reapired. I live in the UK

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Try pulling the power cord, wait a few seconds then plug it back in. If the problem persists I suggest calling Apple support.

Regards,
    Michael

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

4. primozzs macrumors newbie

Did you manage your ATV, my gadged is dead too and I dont know what to do, blinking orange LED.

Kind regards,
    Primozz

5. Chunk72 macrumors member

Chunk72

My Dad had the same problem with an original ATV that I bought for him, turned out the video card failed so the unit is junk.

I even replaced the hard drive with one from a known good ATV. So I kept the scrapper and he got mine.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    A lot of times, this (flashing orange light) means the hard drive is dead- an easy replacement. There's some sources on ebay that will sell you bigger, better hard drives already set up with :apple:TV software (for around $120). You just swap out the old one for the new one and you have what may feel like a brand new :apple:TV. I've done this twice (2 :apple:TVs) and the faster drives do make a difference. It's not a difficult job; the hardest part is carefully removing the rubber boot on the bottom without tearing it.

Sometimes the orange flash means other hardware has had it, so this isn't a sure thing. But, in my own case, it's been solved by doing this... more than once.

I suspect the heat combined with the "always on" (never sleep) nature of the :apple:TV just wears out hard drives faster than necessary.