Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
ok after flashing my ati 9800 pro card and everything seemed to go alright in my mac, i go to restart and hear the chime. then after 5 seconds the machine shuts off? i tried restarting numerious times and it keeps shutting down after the chime.

i used chicken of the vnc to control everything on my sawtooth via my ibook and everything went smooth. the dumping of the orginal rom and flashing the mac rom to it. or is it possible that the flash corrupted the video card?

now could i have installed an incorrect rom? or should i try downloading any ati updates or drivers? thanks for any help or if anyone has any info.

added:
ok i already had all the updates installed. now how can i reflash the card back to pc using my mac if it won't start up with the card installed.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
update:
ok dummy me, i forgot to plug in the power for the card so after doing that, it starts up and shows the screen but i see too many artifacts on the vga side and i switched over to the dvi on my monitor and it's completely unreadable. it was working fine in my pc so i know the card isn't bad. i'm gonna flash it back to pc and try this again with a different rom if i can locate one.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
i'm such a noob.
guess you can't have both vga and dvi connected to the same monitor at once, that is why i was getting the artifacts. disconnected the vga and it's running beautifully. gonna run some benchmarks on it to see how it runs. next i want to buy a vga cooler for it to keep the internal temps down as well. will also hook up my other lcd to test dual displays. i hope to have a couple widescreen lcds hooked up to it shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.