flashing question mark folder after update!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by schpongo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. schpongo macrumors member

Yesterday i did an update on my macbook. After the update the system normally starts again, but mine didn't i waited for 20 min and came to the conclusion that i have to hold down the power button. after that i started again and i got a flashing question mark folder. So i took my SSD out ( vertex limited edition) and put my old HDD with snow leopard in to see if i connect the SSD externally if it would show up but it doesn't i took another HDD case but this also didn't work. So i also tried putting my ssd in the macbook of my sister but this also didn't work. I am clueless, i don't know what to do. I still have warranty but i have new data since my last back up and i really would like it back.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Your hard drive has serious errors.

1. Boot into Single-User Mode.

2. Run fsck -fy and try to fix the OS X drive.

3. Typer the word: reboot - to boot back into OS X.

See if run this helps the situation.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

says who? the flashing question mark simply means that the EFI can't find the OS located on the disk, the simplest and most often easiest solution is to boot from your DVD and reselect the drive as the boot drive.

about single use mode, how on earth is he supposed to boot into single user mode when the EFI cant find the OS to boot from? - its not like single user mode isn't a part of the OS, its Mac OS X with out the GUI, thats it.

4. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to say that i booted from the snow leopard disc and went into the disc utility program , but i didn't show my ssd. I can try the solution mentioned by satcomer, but i wanted to know if there was any chance i would lose my data during the process?
    Thx for the answers.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Nope. It just fixers hard disk errors.

6. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

Are there any other possibilities if not i am going to try this method as soon as i can ( we are having a family get together).

7. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

hey i found some time and tried it but as mulo said i can not boot into singel user mode so we have to find another solution.

8. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

Hasn't anyone gat an idea what i could do or try :confused:? All suggestions are appreciated also if they are a little far fetched

9. cmjones70 macrumors newbie

Same issue here

I just searched for possible causes after experiencing the same thing. I'm not sure about the method Satcomer was suggesting (because there is no booting)

My issue happened after an EFI update. (although it wasn't the first time) Essentially, the update was successful but, after the update, my SSD was not recognized. After a web based emergency boot recovery, the disk utility didn't even see my SSD.

The solution was to physically remove the SSD and wait a few minutes. The next boot worked as if nothing had ever happened.

I don't know the root cause. That's actually what lead me on my search and how I fount this forum / thread.