Flashing Question Mark Folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zuluone, Mar 16, 2016.

1. zuluone macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro last year,but recently it wouldn't boot up properly,all I get is a Flashing folder with a question mark on it,I may have messed this up myself by doing something I shouldn't of done.

I did a cmd and r restart and reinstalled the os,this seemed to work for a while,but then the Mac would just shut down and I would get the flashing folder again.

Please advise

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. zuluone thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 1502

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The flashing folder means that your Mac can't find a valid boot system.
    It may simply mean that your boot system drive is not selected, giving you a brief delay, and then continues to boot normally.
    That can probably be fixed by looking in your System Preferences/Startup Disk pane, and double-checking that your boot drive is properly selected.
    If you know the boot drive is selected, but still have problems with booting (or loses the boot drive during boot, where your Mac suddenly shuts off during boot), then you should try reinstalling OS X (which you have already tried!)

Finally, the shutdown during boot is a danger sign, I think, that your boot drive is failing, and will need to be replaced.

There is a small number of replacement options for new drives. OWC, for example, has only within the last month started selling replacement drives that will work in your MBPro. Prior to that, you had to go through Apple for replacement, or get an Apple-built replacement through eBay, etc. Not cheap. If you are less than 12 months old, or have the extended AppleCare warranty, then go through Apple to get your drive replaced...