Flashing question mark on startup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bcarter360, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bcarter360 macrumors newbie

I installed new Memory in my Mac Mini, went to turn it on and there was no tone, nothing spinning up just silence then a flashing "?" over a file folder appeared.....anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

OK...so you cracked open a mini, installed RAM, and now it won't work....

First off where did you get the RAM, is it Mac-certified? Second, did you already close up the mini? If not, insert the old RAM, and see if you can boot from that. If you can, then this would imply you have bad RAM, and need to return it. A flashing question mark is indicative of a lack of a starting drive (read- your HD got damaged). The lack of a tone, however, means that there is a motherboard or RAM issue at hand. I'm hoping that you didn't mess up the motherboard, but not out of the realm of possibility. Check your RAM first, and try the old one again.

3. bcarter360 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bcarter360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that article.....the disc drive will not pull in a cd.....

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

That's great, but it's a bit difficult to delete partitions while plugging in RAM sticks.

The article does suggest to reset your PRAM. That should be step 3. (Basically hold down apple-shift-p-r on start up). Also, how much RAM did you try to put in?

6. bcarter360 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Alright, that should be good RAM, and I'm assuming you used their system utility to find your system and get the right stuff.

Try reseting the PRAM. If that doesn't work, then try using the old RAM, and see if you get anywhere. You might just have a dead stick.

8. bcarter360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was careful of my surroundings, but any chance a magnet in the area caused this....i did not see a magnet or anything magnetic around....

9. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

That is so unlikely that it's almost impossible. Everything in there is shielded, and you have a friekin' speaker in it with a magnet. Probably not the issue, so don't worry about it. Any luck with the zapping?

10. bcarter360 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is my mothers brand new mac mini and I ahve not tried that yet...I will go back tomorrow and try some things I guess I see online...its a intel mini she got on tuesday....

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Well... good luck. Let us know how that goes. Like I said, there is very little physical damage that could have been done to everything. The one thing that concerns me is that the disk drive won't pull anything. Zapping the PRAM should (theoretically fix that). If not, strap the old RAM back, make sure you get rid of all signs of damage (in opening the case), and get it exchanged at the Apple Store. ;)

12. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I hope that the problem will be fixed. Good luck:)