flashing question mark

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so my macbook froze and when i restarted it, i got the flashing question mark

i then inserted the install disk to find that disk utility could not find the hard drive. i then resetted the pram and it didn't help.

i concluded that the hard drive is bad

soooo my question is i bought the hard drive from best buy about a year ago. it is a 250gig 5400rpm western digital scorpio. on the box, there is a sticker that says 3-year limited warranty

will i be able to simply take it back to best buy and have it replaced? or do i need to call western digital? or will i be stuck having to buy a new hard drive? i should also add i have lost the receipt over the past year. will that be a problem?

in either case, when i return the hard drive, how can i be sure my info is secure? is it an option to keep the bad hard drive if i can show best buy its bad?

i appreciate your input as this is an annoyance

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

honestly i think i would be more concerned with getting my info off of it, do you have it backed up?? i would be freaking out right now

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I'd call WD and have them do it. Usually the stickers are for the manufacturer's warranty. I believe the store's return policy is 90 days.

Have you tried pulling the drive out and reinserting it?

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea i have my info backed up in 3 separate volumes excluding the mb hard drive so no worries there

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would think that you need to contact Western Digital unless the warranty was through Best Buy.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was looking at this

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/faq_dir.asp?lang=en

that is the warranty policy for western digital authorized distributers. would that mean best buy should honor it? i really would like to be able to do this today if thats the policy but may have to end up calling WD

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I guess it couldn't hurt going to Best Buy and seeing if they will honor it. I think you might have a problem because you don't have the original receipt, but Best Buy should be able to look up your purchase if you used a Best Buy Reward Zone card.

8. penfool macrumors newbie

yeah would have thought it would be the store you brought it from.
    Though without proof or purchase could be difficult.

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well i took the hard drive out of my mb and plugged it into my desktop and the desktop wouldnt recognize it either

however, the hard drive turns on and is spinning but isnt making any loud noises like other hard drives i have had crash on me. seems like its fine mechanically but just isnt being recognized

any ideas?

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

would the fact i forced shut down since it was frozen up be the reason it cant see the drive?

if so, any ideas on how to fix that?

11. belvdr macrumors 603

Nah, Disk Utility should still see it when booted from the install discs. Forcing a shutdown may hose up a filesystem, but it won't brick a drive.

12. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

put the drive in the freezer for 15 minutes and give it another go; you may be able to grab data off of it. Talk to WD to get your drive replaced.

13. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok so i have to send my drive to WD. what is the best way to "secure" the drive? i ask as i cant wipe it as i cant detect it

14. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Burning it? But seriously, you can't do much, the reading head must be broken or something. WD will more likely just dump it, since repairing a Hard drive is really expensive.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

If you have a degaussing tool, that's the best option since you cannot see it.

16. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

would a magnet work? i have a neodymium one around here somewhere

or would that potentially ruin the drive and prohibit the warranty?