macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
On my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13", when I took out my headphones, I saw a red light flash briefly in the reflection of the jack plug-in thing. I'm probably over-reacting, but I do want to be on the safe side. Is this bad at all? What does that red light mean?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
On my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13", when I took out my headphones, I saw a red light flash briefly in the reflection of the jack plug-in thing. I'm probably over-reacting, but I do want to be on the safe side. Is this bad at all? What does that red light mean?

Means you accidentally tripped the little sensor for optical audio. As you may or may not know the MBP is capable of transmitting sound through optical out(fiber optics, S/PDIF, toslink, ADAT, call it what you want). That red light you saw was simply your sound card thinking it had such a cable put in for a moment.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Means you accidentally tripped the little sensor for optical audio. As you may or may not know the MBP is capable of transmitting sound through optical out(fiber optics, S/PDIF, toslink, ADAT, call it what you want). That red light you saw was simply your sound card thinking it had such a cable put in for a moment.

OK! Thanks! For a minute I was worried!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.