Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oshamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Hello,

I purchased a RX 580 Nitro+ online from eBay hoping for a macOS compatible GPU for my Mac Pro.

The GPU might be a fake.
I am attaching the information necessary for identifying the card's current vbios in hopes of finding a vbios candidate to cross flash the card.
Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Do you just look for a card with the closest matching chip, memory and timings?

Attachments

• gpu-z.gif
    gpu-z.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 56
  • mem timings.gif
    mem timings.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 34
  • amdvbflash-i.png
    amdvbflash-i.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 22
  • amdvbflashWN.png
    amdvbflashWN.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0379.JPEG
    IMG_0379.JPEG
    381 KB · Views: 30

oshamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
RX580 2048SP is a Chinese-market exclusive model.

It's basically an RX570.
I have read that on other boards. Someone told me it was likely a fake card. If it's just an SKU for a specific market I feel less worried about it and I am fine with lower performance. So if it would be possible to flash with RX 570 vbios and boot normally I would be happy to have a working card.
I would be happy with anything that gives a boot screen. If this card is somehow not compatible I might try to return it.

ryanmkincaid

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
Brooklyn
Hey @oshamos I'm in the same position. I just purchased a "slightly used" RX 580 but now that I have it in hand, I suspect it's a counterfeit card as well. The item came in box and the seal was clearly intact. I'll have to run those checks to see if I generate similar numbers. I doesn't have the Chinese sticker like your image does, however. I'll try to upload images once I get the power cable (should be here tonight).

Reactions: oshamos

oshamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Hey @oshamos I'm in the same position. I just purchased a "slightly used" RX 580 but now that I have it in hand, I suspect it's a counterfeit card as well. The item came in box and the seal was clearly intact. I'll have to run those checks to see if I generate similar numbers. I doesn't have the Chinese sticker like your image does, however. I'll try to upload images once I get the power cable (should be here tonight).
Hey, I got macOS to boot using this vBIOS below.
The card worked ok in Windows but had issues, I didn't really want it for that use case anyway.

I would say this is a card that was most likely used in mining if yours came sealed that's a whole different ball of wax. Do not despair, yet.

I am thinking about returning the card but the seller seems hesitant.

Reactions: Ninetailedfox

Ninetailedfox

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Hey, I got macOS to boot using this vBIOS below.
The card worked ok in Windows but had issues, I didn't really want it for that use case anyway.

I would say this is a card that was most likely used in mining if yours came sealed that's a whole different ball of wax. Do not despair, yet.

I am thinking about returning the card but the seller seems hesitant.

Hello, I got Sapphire RX 580 how did you flash yours with RX 570? Sorry I am noob.

oshamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Hello, I got Sapphire RX 580 how did you flash yours with RX 570? Sorry I am noob.
Don't just flash your card. Preserve your factory vbios.
Do research if this is necessary for you. My card has 2048sp in the name of the card. I wasn't aware this was a count of the shaders in the card and reflected a chinese only SKU. If you have a pulse 580 it's probably legit and you should be reading about opencore legacy patcher for using outdated macs.

• Wow
Reactions: Ninetailedfox

Ninetailedfox

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Don't just flash your card. Preserve your factory vbios.
Do research if this is necessary for you. My card has 2048sp in the name of the card. I wasn't aware this was a count of the shaders in the card and reflected a chinese only SKU. If you have a pulse 580 it's probably legit and you should be reading about opencore legacy patcher for using outdated macs.
I already flashed my Sapphire RX580 2048SP(Chinese Version) to Sapphire RX570 bios and it work flawlessly with my MacOS Ventura and Win11 :)

0.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.