Flashing Sleep Light at StartUp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sknyluv, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sknyluv macrumors newbie

Lurked here for years, would appreciate some help with a problem I'm having with my macbook ....

Weeks back, had some blinds by my desk fall on my opened Macbook and strike right neare the power button. No real physical damage, although the power button feels a tad stiffer when pressed. But since then, at start up, the sleep light will flash quickly off and on for a short burst, but then proceed with start up.

I've searched around the internets and seem to think that this might be a memory problem. But in most cases the computer won't start up at all. In my case the only indication I have of a problem is flashing sleep light at start up.

Before I go diggin' around in the memory, do ya'll have any ideas as to the problem? Thanks in advance ...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like it might be trying to enter the firmware flashing mode. Typically you hold down the power button until the sleep light flashes rapidly and the machine beeps.

3. Sknyluv thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't heard of that. Generally, I press the power button as normal, not holding it down for any extended period of time.

Could the trauma of the blinds forced the power button down and into an unnatural position?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It does sound like there has been some damage to the power button.

I'd still try to reset your PRAM and SMC though.