Flashing underscore when booting Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SomeSwede, Sep 13, 2009.

1. SomeSwede macrumors member

Hi.

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my 2007 iMac, and so far everything is running flawlessly EXCEPT that every time I boot in to Windows I am greeted with a flashing underscore for about 55 seconds before the boot process continues.

Has anyone any idea what the cause and solution to this little irritating problem might be?

I used the drivers included on the SL DVD in case anyone is wondering.

Here is a short video clip showing the whole boot process: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/090909170017.3gp

2. Fgozalo macrumors member

Hey there,

as previously read on another topic, the most likely cause to it is that if you downloaded your copy trhough torrents or alike, the underscore means that a bios hack is being loaded before the actual boot up.

:)

thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785207

PS': Sorry for my English, it's not first language nor second.

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

That's not necessarily true. I have the flashing underscore on my Vista Ultimate 32bit setup, and it's a legitimate copy that I bought through my University.

From what I understand, it is the bios trying to find a start path to boot from. Maybe it's a little slower due to a bios emulation problem or that the bootloader is messed up.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You would see a flashing underscore for a little while, but not 55 seconds as the OP suggested. I have about 1-3 seconds on my legit Vista Business 64-bit on my macbook air

5. SomeSwede thread starter macrumors member

That would make sense i guess. :(

And i suspect that this forum is the wrong place to look for a better bios hack, so i'll thank you for your reply and look elsewhere for a solution.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't think it would be from the copy being downloaded from torrents. I think it would be from the activator cracks, which have a BIOS hack.

7. mr666 macrumors regular

What is a "BIOS hack"? If the BIOS is a chipset, how does the installer hack it? Would that cause the BIOS to need a flash to get back to its original condition? I wonder if your term "BIOS hack" is accurate.

I have installed 7 on two different computers using the same DVD with the issue occurring on one but not the other. Does that mean the installer hacked one but didn't hack the other? I rather doubt it, since the one with the issue has no BIOS to hack.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Some "pre-activated" copies of Windows look for a particular OEM's BIOS instead of activation. They can be fooled by installing a bit of software before Windows that will imitate the required BIOS.

It's very similar to how OS X can be fooled that it is running on a Mac when installing a hackintosh.

B