Flashing white dash on black background before Windows 7 startup

drummerdimitri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hey guys,

I've just finished installing windows 7 on my macbook pro with bootcamp but for some reason, I always get this black screen with a white dash on the top left that blinks fast for about 40 seconds before the windows startup screen comes up. I've installed windows 7 many times on my mac before but this is the first time such a thing happens. Does anyone know to make this long process go away?

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hey guys,

I've just finished installing windows 7 on my macbook pro with bootcamp but for some reason, I always get this black screen with a white dash on the top left that blinks fast for about 40 seconds before the windows startup screen comes up. I've installed windows 7 many times on my mac before but this is the first time such a thing happens. Does anyone know to make this long process go away?

Thanks!
That's an indication of the graphics card either being initialized or is having some type of issue.

drummerdimitri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
What can I do about it then? It extends the boot time by a crap load of time and I really dont want that.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Do you have any external storage devices connected to your MBP when you power it up to boot into Windows? USB flash drive or hard drive? SD Card?

drummerdimitri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Odd. Have you tried booting without the mouse plugged in? I've gotten that screen myself, but only if I've had a storage device plugged in, be it an SD card or thumb drive.
Yes I have and nothing changed. The black screen with the flashing white dash stays there for about a minute each time before loading windows.

scuba156

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013
Is this a legitimate copy of windows? It happens with non legit copies that have a bios hack to get around the copy protection.