Flashing white dash on black background before Windows 7 startup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drummerdimitri, Jun 17, 2013.

1. drummerdimitri macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've just finished installing windows 7 on my macbook pro with bootcamp but for some reason, I always get this black screen with a white dash on the top left that blinks fast for about 40 seconds before the windows startup screen comes up. I've installed windows 7 many times on my mac before but this is the first time such a thing happens. Does anyone know to make this long process go away?

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's an indication of the graphics card either being initialized or is having some type of issue.

3. drummerdimitri thread starter macrumors newbie

What can I do about it then? It extends the boot time by a crap load of time and I really dont want that.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How long is a "crap load of time?"

Do you have all the proper drivers installed for Windows and BootCamp?

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Do you have any external storage devices connected to your MBP when you power it up to boot into Windows? USB flash drive or hard drive? SD Card?

6. drummerdimitri thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. The only thing plugged in is a mouse. I have an SSD FYI.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Odd. Have you tried booting without the mouse plugged in? I've gotten that screen myself, but only if I've had a storage device plugged in, be it an SD card or thumb drive.

8. drummerdimitri thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have and nothing changed. The black screen with the flashing white dash stays there for about a minute each time before loading windows.

9. scuba156 macrumors newbie

Is this a legitimate copy of windows? It happens with non legit copies that have a bios hack to get around the copy protection.

10. drummerdimitri thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not legit. I got if from piratebay but it always worked perfectly in the past.