Flat Black iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jona2125, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jona2125 macrumors regular

What are your opinions on a flat black iPhone 4. I have some 3M Matte Black, Matte Gray and Matte White vinyl wrap (for cars normally) layin around and was curious about takin a piece a bit bigger than the iPhone and tapin it to a piece of printer paper and throwin the iPhone on the scanner and hittin copy, then use the Invisible Shield as a tempelate, but more defined on the camera and flash cut outs, and layering it on the back of the iPhone. Then just cut out gray pieces for the antenna band, should also alleviate any cellular issues too. Finally, for the top ill make a tempelate that has cutouts for: Proximity Sensor, Front Cam, Privacy Speaker, Home Button (Most likely to be photocopied to a piece of matte black vinyl also) and lastly Screen. This would offer great contrast to the amazing screen. Still debating to get that anti-glare screen protector just to finish off the "matte" appearance. I think this would add funcionality (fewer reception issues, not that I have had many, and also protection) and also add style & indivuality to the phone itself because lets face it, 2 million or so iPhone 4's sold so far and 50 plus million iPhone's overall, you're gonna run into others with the same phone now and again. Anyone with thoughts would be appreciated. I'll try to get to it within the end of the month, will be posting pictures of the final product.

2. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

3. papo2 macrumors member

4. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

I like the support. Im glad nobody has told me to use phantom or ghost or whatever skins that are clear but give a matte appearance. I dont like the sand paper look. Ill be posting pics for sure, just gotta get a good half a day of free time to dedicate to doing it. Should look amazing. matte white with a matte black band would look nice too, storm trooped iphone

5. b00st3d macrumors member

b00st3d

i like the idea as well! go for it and take plenty of pics!

6. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

Well when Apple ships me the iPhone I will get right on it.

7. asdff macrumors member

dude that is a GREAT idea and i would love to see it... definitely post pictures if you do it!!

8. reliantj macrumors 6502

hm too bad you can't die cut the vinyl or di-con. you'd have yourself nice little business there.

9. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

yea i wish i could get that goin, sell it to everyone who are annoyed with cases and bumpers like me. wish we could buy a phone that works out the box naturally and dont have to modify it with bandaids and duct tape to make it work for its main purpose

10. JF23 macrumors newbie

11. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Good idea, could be challenging but i think it would look great, im looking forward to pictures!

12. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

no updates yet. still awaiting delivery of the iphone. got the vinyl ready to go, i think im just going to go with all flat black. hopefully it won't look too bad. i also thought about using matte white on top and bottom and matte black on the band for a "storm trooper" look.

13. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

Got sick of waiting for my iPhone to be delivered from Apple so I went into Best Buy today and bought one. Here are the pics of the vinyl wrapped back. I didn't do the front because it would not look right with a hole for the speaker, camera and proximity sensor. I like this phone alot though. No problems at all, couldn't duplicate the antenna issue. Signed up for my free case today also. Anyway here's the pics, sorry for the wait. Possibly might duplicate the Apple logo and other lettering on another vinyl piece later. I just didn't feel it was neccessary at the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. eurotechnik macrumors newbie

i have a friend in the sign business that i might pay a visit.

don't know why i didn't think about it earlier. thanks jona2125.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Want so bad!:eek:

16. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

im glad you like it. the vinyl definately adds grip to this very slick phone so im very happy. i was worried about dropping it when i walke out of the store today. might do the band itself too but not sure yet. it really makes me wish i could mass produce them for people who want it done. it was really a piece of cake though. not as bad as i thought. front piece would be harder and wouldnt look as well because it would have cutouts so trying for a fully flat appearance would be a waste.

17. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

two more pictures just in case you arent satisfied
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JF23 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update, I really like the stealthy look.

19. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

Saw the iCarbons white conversion kit. Looks like they did a pretty good job at making exact holes for all the things just it looks gawdy because it doesn't fit around the black edges. I'm going to pick a kit up to change mine to white but with vinyl so fitments right. I'll use their kit as a template for the prox sensor and front camera.

20. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

21. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. im gonna do the front when i get the icarbons kit ordered so i can use it as a tempelate.

22. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

23. cryer macrumors regular

Please do one for me :D

24. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

lol i wish i could make them to sell but it is such a custom fit you have to be very precise at putting it on.

25. colson macrumors newbie

hey man whats your email, i couldnt find it on your profile and id like to get with you about this idea