Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I have used an iPhone 11 Pro Max with flat edges using a special case off Amazon for a few days. While initially it is very pleasing, I just slapped on a regular silicon case and the phone feels much smaller and more docile in the hand.

Perhaps flat just feels nice on smaller devices, iPhone 5, 5S, SE, 12 mini, and maybe even 12 regular, but not for larger devices for handling.

just thinking out loud.

thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not surprising, because it’s literally what Jony Ive said during an interview after the iPhone 6 was launched. Rounded edges make a big device feel smaller.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Round edges indeed do make the device feel smaller - that's why they're so difficult to keep from dropping. The death to the bar of soap design can't come soon enough

Agreed. I recently switched my service from AT&T to Verizon. To change the SIM card, I had to remove my phone from the case for the first time in the last year. I was reminded of just how slippery the iPhone 11 Pro is without a case.

I don’t really care what the Cult of Ive thinks about it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I have used an iPhone 11 Pro Max with flat edges using a special case off Amazon for a few days. While initially it is very pleasing, I just slapped on a regular silicon case and the phone feels much smaller and more docile in the hand.

Perhaps flat just feels nice on smaller devices, iPhone 5, 5S, SE, 12 mini, and maybe even 12 regular, but not for larger devices for handling.

just thinking out loud.

Hopefully the straight edges lead to slightly curved corners or it will be hell using the device for longer periods.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011

just thinking out loud.

Quick! Better tell Apple before Tuesday's event ;)

You're probably right when it comes to larger devices. But I'm sure there will be cases that give it a more round shape. L

Reactions: ruslan120

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
They look good but not practical, iPad 11" pro with no case is not good to hold.

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Hopefully the straight edges lead to slightly curved corners or it will be hell using the device for longer periods.
Yeah the 5 had chamfered edges to help with the edge digging into hands, so hopefully there is something done to address that with the 12's.

Reactions: bobby68

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I kind of hope you’re wrong. I miss the square edges, but then again, I had it on the much smaller 5s, not something the size of my 11pro

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

just thinking out loud.

Well, if it was a case on top of an existing device seems like that in itself would make it bulkier than what simply a device on its own would be (whatever the edges might be).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I dunno how the thin will be, but a phone that is somehow thinner than 5 and boxy edges (not going to be the case here I dont think) would be wild

And im not slim obsesive

but still, im excited for a visual change in design. its felt the same since 6, even with X-style transformation X onwards / notch / no touchID style

im oddly refreshed being back on SE2020 with that old 6 style, but 5 + X combo seems cool

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
i have that same exact case OP is talking about and compared to my 12 pro max dummy unit they do feel similar but the dummy unit feels soo much better imo

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I had a dummy 12 Pro Max. It’s fine. You tend to use the larger phones with two hands anyways in most instances. Also I think Apple will make the 2020 iPhones more rounded at the edges compared to iPhone 4-5S. More comfy to handle.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
Yeah feels a bit like change for the sake of it. But.. it could make the bezels "visually?" thinner which is a tangible improvement.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah feels a bit like change for the sake of it. But.. it could make the bezels "visually?" thinner which is a tangible improvement.

If the device is much thinner the battery
might be worse than the 11 Pro Max, even while sipping on power thanks to A14

thinner profile+thinner battery+ mmWave 5G = ok battery life

12S Pro Max becomes a bit thicker and gets decent battery life

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

This ?... one of the reasons I rarely use my iPad Pro is that the squared edges dig into my hand/lap and are uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. This is why I’m torn between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Personally I'm glad they are going back to the square edge design. Never did like the rounded edge. Of course I'm not going to upgrade from an 11Pro this year but next year?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
To me flat edges just seems to be a step back in the ergonomics of a device. Don’t get me wrong, I love the form factor of the 4S and the 5/5S but I personally think it’s a step back in the way of design. That being said it will be interesting to see how many androids start to adopt that on their next phones lol (not a shot, just a fact).

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
To summarise; some like flat edges, some like rounded edges - some will be disappointed...

True, as every year. I remember the complaints of the iphone 4 and 5 being painful to hold, that it bit or dug into the hand, and I expected that many would feel similarly about the 12. Oh well, I never had that experience. The flat edges were my favorite iphone design visually, and I found them easier to hold without slipping. I love the iPad Pro of the last two years. Looking forward to the change for the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.