FLAT? FLAT? What the #&@# does FLAT mean?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SilverGhost, Jan 30, 2014.

1. SilverGhost macrumors newbie

My apologies for posting facts that have been stated in this forum hundreds (thousands?) of times already. I just discovered this forum, and need to get this off my chest.

A few years ago, I bought an iPod Touch. It was so far advanced over anything I had owned before, I became enamored with Apple products. We bought 2 of every Apple device I could use, costing extra $$ in a number of cases, to make sure I got the Retina high resolution screen. Pictures, graphics, magazines - all in so wonderful a presentation that I could "reach in and touch" the subject.

I dropped Windows a couple of years ago, after discovering that Apple PCs were, indeed, worth all that extra cost. Faster, built to last, and of course - the fantastic Retina screen resolution.

Then something strange happened - I accepted the offer to upgrade to IOS 7 on my iPad. Excited to see what great new improvements had been made, I started browsing the Apple Apps. The more I searched, the worse it got....It must be a joke, right? They gave the design work to a fourth grader, and made him do it using only a black and white pencil and told not to create borders around data fields.

* I checked my mail. The wonderfully grey-shaded keyboard was gone. The new keyboard was almost all white, with the borders around the keyboard, and around each key, essentially gone. Very difficult to see, and use, with my limited eyesight.
    * The Notes yellow pad icon which stood out on the screen, is gone. The new icon is a - what? An attempt to emulate the old network peacock? Opening Notes, I found that no longer did it have lines to make creating and reading notes easy. It is - Nothing - just a blank page. How UN-imaginative can one get?
    * The icon for Newsstand, a clear bookcase, with my magazines sitting on the shelf, was gone. It took a while to find the new app icon. It's now a washed out blotch, with some sort of colors stuck inside it.
    * The old Contacts icon, an image of a leather phone directory was gone. After some more searching, the new washed out icon is a sort of grey outline of a person?
    * The Calendar icon went from a bold icon with today's date, to - wait for it --- yet another white, washed out icon. Totally dull and harder to find. Then I opened the calendar and found they didn't stop at the icon. The monthly calendar page again decided one didn't need border lines between the days. Just the days of the month, let the user figure out what separates them. Flat, dull, and totally unappealing. There's more, but I'll stop here.

So I have to ask. What Moron decided that they'll take the most advanced graphics tablet/PC available, and remove all the color and imagination from the IOS? Shouldn't someone get fired for letting this out into the world? With several thousand dollars invested in Apple products, I think I have a right to complain! I hear there may be some improvements in the IOS, but am so disappointed in Apple's decision in the graphics that I haven't looked for them. I tried to go back to IOS 6 a day later, only to discover that I waited a day too long! They had removed that capability.

I've trusted Apple in the past, and clicked on the upgrade button for upgrades without thinking twice. Never again. I caught this abomination in time to stop my wife from upgrading her iPad, and certainly didn't fall for the Mavericks OS on my Retina Macbook Pro. I did lots of googling, and found a few ways to help with the visual ability lacking in IOS 7 - increase contrast, etc.

I'm not old fashioned - I welcome changes which are improvements. These changes, IMHO, took a 5 year leap backwards. If the moderators wish to move or remove this rant, fell free. I'm crossing my fingers that Apple will come to their senses, and USE the high definition capabilities of their technology, not throw it out to appease some executive/engineer's misguided concept that no graphics is great graphics.

2. Scott M macrumors regular

Scott M

Harder to find? What the hell? Can't you just remember where the icons are after you've rearranged your home-pages the first time?

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

FLAT? FLAT? What the #&@# does FLAT mean?

I think it's not the OS, it's you. I love iOS 7 and the fact so many people with bad attitudes are miserable with it only makes me enjoy it even more. Really satisfies my sadistic side.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Another week another thread discussing the same things already covered in dozens of threads before.

5. dcp10 macrumors 6502

As the saying goes "you can't please all the people all the time". We'll have to leave it to history to see if this a lasting design, but the cleaner look adopted by Apple is kinda trendy now so those who don't like it may just have to grin and bear it for now

6. Altis macrumors 68000

You sure can't please everyone all the time, like you say. But Apple seems to think one (rather polarizing) solution will please hundreds of millions, which is can't really. That's why some options would be nice.

Or just let people go back to 6, let them be happy with their devices rather than effectively ruin what they purchased. Then we could all just move on :)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apology accepted
    Now that you have it off your chest you will just have to accept it and move on

8. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Flat design is easy and trendy. I'll repeat it - Easy and Trendy. I'll repeat it once more - EASY and TRENDY.

You have a lot of good arguments against flat design and iOS 7 in particular. I have yet to see any good arguments for iOS 7's redesign - all I have seen is reproduction of Apple's meaningless marketing buzzwords.

9. white4s Suspended

nothing flat about this ;)

Attached Files:

10. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

This is not just non-flat, this is one of the better attempts at theming I have seen in a long time.

11. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I love the look of iOS 7! A lot. I do want a dark keyboard really bad but besides that iOS is awesome. Yeah notes isn't great but I like it it's fine. Calendar sorta sucks in the app but I like the icon a lot. And if you upgrade to mavericks you'll be fine just google image it to make sure it's ok with you. It doesn't look like iOS 7. But I like iOS 7 so much that I would go to apples website at least once a day to look at iOS 7. Every day after apple announced iOS 7 on June 10th to September 18th when I installed it.

----------

I don't understand that either.

13. white4s Suspended

appreciate the compliment a lot

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Welcome to last year.

Just relax, use your device and in a few weeks you'll be used to it and iOS 6 will look like the stone age.

I'm serious; I felt the same way as you at first. Now iOS 6 feels like ancient history. Trust me. :)

15. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

They did give ios 7 to a 8 year old and impose design restrictions...and then stripped that design of all life. All you can do is send apple feedback via the webform and hope they change it.

16. white4s Suspended

I love mine

Attached Files:

17. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Flat means absence of clutter and tacky ornamentations (artificial borders, shadows; all skeumorphic stuff) and makes everything as clean and minimalistic as possible, which in my opinion -as you have yours- is an enduring beauty that survives the test of time.

18. kevroc macrumors 6502

But iOS 7 is "simplistically elegant", "beautifully simplified", "screenishly clean", "absently absent"

Oooh that's my new favorite!

"iOS 7, Absently absent".

/sincerely sarcastic

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

psssst. Nobody tell him it's going to start crashing. :D

SilverGhost I'm right there with 'ya.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

OP, I have an iPhone 5 & iPad 4, both still using iOS 6 - happily. :)

I bought an iPad Mini-R last Fall and it came with iOS 7 installed. I have been using it since November 13th and still dislike the iOS. Every day. I'm so glad that I didn't upgrade my other two devices mainly because they are easier for me to see. I have no problems viewing text in iOS 6 but iOS 7 has made it much harder. I've emboldened text but it's still bad. All of that white background without divisions is not helpful. Why is there no way to reduce the stark white backgrounds? Notes doesn't even allow for alternative fonts anymore.

If you don't quite need reading glasses yet for the rest of your reading activities (computers, books, magazines, restaurant menus), it's tough to cope. :( Squinting all the while.

I can't imagine using iOS 7 on a phone. How in h*ll do you read the tiny print?

Please keep any insults to yourself. I'm not looking to get burned here. I have legitimate concerns that are bothering me daily. (I haven't posted in any of those other threads.) I don't want to jailbreak.

Have any of the beta releases addressed any of these situations?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some really basic things like borders or shadows aren't tacky or ornate, they are actual fairly universal usability basics.

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Also, I don't give a rat's @$$ about "enduring beauty that survives the test of time". I want the same visibility/usability that I've used since iPhone 3Gs.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You do realize because of higher resolution retina displays the icons look great FLAT right? They don't need to fluff up the icons with gradients and shadows anymore to cover up crappy resolutions of screens from 2007. :rolleyes:

24. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

It's funny how people perceptions of iOS 7 is they fell cheated out of something.
    If a button doesn't look like a button under the glass it doesn't mean it isn't a button anymore, or that functions have been removed.

OP times have to move on, or we would be still looking at the same GUI in years to come, except, embrace, or be left behind.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't think that gradients or shadows or some simpler things of that nature (again, without going overboard) are really just fluff or to cover up something that might otherwise not look great. They are things that give things a little more definition and provide more general and sometimes specific spatial awareness, which makes it cognitively that much more natural for humans. It's not to say that what iOS 7 or other flat designs have done are that much more of a cognitive load, but they are somewhat less natural/native in that sense (even if sometimes only slightly so).