flat rate repairs by Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macky-Mac, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

A friend's G4 ibook needed some serious repairs recently. He'd bought it almost 4 years ago. It seemed likely that it was going to need a new logic board and he was figuring that repairing it would certainly cost almost as much as a new macbook, but when he took it in to an authorized repair shop they told him Apple would repair his ibook for a flat rate of something like $375.....no matter what or how much they had to do to fix it. It was sent off to Apple for repairs and less than a week later he had it back with a bunch of new parts including a logic board, power supply, some cable related to the microphone and a couple of other things that I don't remember. They said it amounted to about $1500 worth of stuff..........and sure enough, he only paid a total of $375 for all the parts and labor.

Anybody else have any experience doing this? I had never heard of it before so I was amazed.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

They do the same thing on my PowerBook G4.

I have no clue how many times time logic board has ben replaced for $310.

Wonder why they charged you more for you iBook than they do for PowerBooks

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Maybe because the iBooks are a hassle to open up when compared to the Powerbook G4s.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That is true but really it was not that hard to replace my iBook's hard drive.