Flat Screen or IKEA desk?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krafty, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, for my college dorm I am a complete neat-freak. I like organization but I also like space, so recently I have been keeping my eye on 2 things: A long desk to set my MacBook, TV, Printer, etc.... on, and a Flat screen to replace the small, long-ass CRT TV.

I was looking around, and what I was hoping for is something I could set everything thing (my TV, 360, etc...) on at once.

(Im also working on a flat screen. I know, im a poor college student :( )
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69831118

Would that be good?

OR

Should I get a Flat Screen first? My budget is low (again) so anything preferably under 250. I dont care that much about quailty just as long as it does the job cause I hate the setup I have (with the crappy desks the college gives us, I cant get the to stay up so I have to sit half a desk on top of the other).

Its more of which should I get first...

Here's most of my room:
    [​IMG]

Here's what I want to fix up:
    [​IMG]

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Recession is coming. Get a cheaper desk/used one from craigslist, and hold off on TV unless it's an absolute steal for the price.

Also, consider how you're going to move your new desk (if you buy it) out of the dorms if you even can. If you're given a free desk from the college, might as well use it right?

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

huh????? u know something????

4. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright.
    Well, the one I posted says it requires assembly, so I suppose if I had to I could take it apart? During breaks, your allowed to leave your stuff in your room until the quarter is over. Even so, you can still leave it if you know you'll be back.

Its nice to have a free desk, but what good is it when it falls when you apply pressure as simple as putting your arms on it? You have to tighten these screws which push against the metal pipes to keep it from falling, but I've gotten it at the tightest and it still slides. A lot of people are having this problem.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's obviously not a certainty, but if you listen to/watch the news at all, you know that many economists are predicting a recession.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

how would a recession affect the OP. He is in college so chances are by the time he is out of college the recession would be over any how.

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

taking apart and putting ikea furniture together isn't always easy-- it is made of particle board, so after a while screwing and unscrewing will weaken it-- it is a nice table, but seems pretty big-- i would hold off on the tv...if your going to buy one, i would save for a better quality one than just a cheap one to have one

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

think about this,

what is the point of having a nice computer, if it is sitting on a wobbly piece of crap

9. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, even so I'm planning on being here for 4 years, so if anything I wouldnt be unscrewing it back and forth all the time.

Also, big in what way? Like wide or long? Cause when I get it I'm going to put the 2 other tables you see away. (Unless I need them)

Which is why im trying to find a desk.

10. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

according to those measurements it is about 6 and a half feet long; i just remember living in a dorm and we never would have had room for a great desk like that!

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, It might fit in mines. I'll measure it but I think my dorm will be ok.