Flat UI: Who does it better?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WhackyNinja, Nov 17, 2013.

?

Flat UI: Who does it better?

1. Google

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Apple

50 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Microsoft

39 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Out of all the companies you've seen doing it? Who does the "Flat" UI better?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Of the three, my vote is on Google. Microsoft is so bland, and Apple's choice of color pallets is straight up childish.

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I think Google but others will improve overtime. Google doesn't use flat design in areas where a more three dimensional design is more functional.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Microsoft.

It's not just aesthetic with Microsoft. It's true to the feel and function of the UI itself.

Plus android and iOS aren't really flat. Flattish sure, but not like Windows Phone.

5. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

It's all personal preferences in play. I would say Windows phone because their UI really cannot go any flatter than it is already. :)

6. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Yeah I agree. I think Google really does flat better compared to Apple. As for Microsoft, I like their flat UI (Had a Windows Phone) but compared to Google, again Google does it better

7. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I used to like Google's flat design but now it's kind of bland. Just white squares/cards everywhere…

8. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I think Google does the best right now. All the google Apps on iOS are simply gorgeous.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

doesn't flat = bland? if it was popping or shiny or glossy it wouldn't be flat.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Apple is flat and no bland

11. g35 macrumors 6502a

For me it's definitely Microsoft. I played with a Surface RT at the store the other day after hearing it'd be only $200 on black friday. I'm sure it has faults like lack of full Windows and poor battery life, but the UI is really well-done and pleasing to look at. It's iOS-level smooth, which I've never seen on Android.

12. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Apple
    Microsoft
    Facebook
    Google

I love the use of color. I love blur effect from iOS 7. I like how they try and emphasis content.

Windows 8 is flat but has personality.

Facebook is flat yet presents information beautifully.

Google sucks. They try to group information with cards, which creates a 3D effect with the backgrounds contrast (good). They have no color presence, they have no personality. They are just... Blah.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm going to say Microsoft. Followed closely by Apple. Google... pleh.

14. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I like Apples colour choices, they bright, fresh and different to the old bland ios 6 pallet

15. Naor macrumors regular

The hell are you talking about? They feel old and out of place... Google ideologically keeps the old ios 6 keyboard and black status bar, this drives me nuts, not flat at all.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Google's cards idea are cool but they still try to create a false sense of three dimensional perspectives and it ends up looking like a train-wreck sometimes. Also, their iOS/Mobile are horrible.

Apple's design is nice, albeit somewhat predictable, and the idea of keeping things flat but using content layers works really well.

Microsoft however takes the cake. The way they have implemented Metro is probably one of the best designs to exist right now.

17. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I was primarily referring to the mail and youtube apps, I think they have very superior design to some apple apps.

18. Naor macrumors regular

The gmail app is quite terrible, functionally and design... YouTube could be so much better if they actually made it more iOS 7 compatible, and they refuse to do so.