Flatbed Scanner for OSX Lion w/o Rosetta

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lugesm, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Just brought up a new iMac with OSX 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

When I attempted to connect my 6 year old Epson 3170 Flatbed Scanner, I got a message: "You will need Rosetta installed. Do you wish to install Rosetta now?"

I think this says that the Epson scanner drivers will not work without Rosetta, and it is my understanding that "Lion" will NOT include Rosetta.

Since I plan to install Lion when it is released, I am looking for another flatbed scanner of later vintage. In fact, I was never impressed with the Epson drivers for Macintosh anyway.

What is the best flatbed scanner for the Macintosh ?
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
    L

2. exfordy macrumors newbie

I too have an Epson Perfection 3170 which ran happily with our previous iMac but since we bought a new iMac last month and loaded Lion I now get 'You can't open the application EPSON Scan because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.'
    I was very happy with the 3170 especially its ability to scan A4 reflective or negs / slides transparencies with the various mounts.
    I am quite happy to eBay my 3170 but have no idea what to get to replace it. Any recommendations would be very welcome. I scan many 35mm negs as well as A4 documents.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't suppose that it occurred to you search Epson's website for a Lion-compatible driver?

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Yeah. That didn't work for me.

5. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Solution . . . Not necessarily a good one.

I have Parallels 6 / Win 7 on my iMac. I started up Win 7 and downloaded Windows 7 drivers for the Epson 3170.

The scanner works well under Win 7 with the downloaded Win 7 drivers.

This is inconvenient, and not a good solution, but it will work. Perhaps . . . better than throwing the scanner out.

6. lugesm, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

End of story . . . for me.

OK. Someone on another forum suggested:

Hamrick's "VueScan" which can be downloaded, free to try
    and $40 to keep.

I am not happy about having to purchase software to make this scanner work in Lion:mad:, but I am very pleased with the "VueScan" software . . . features and operation are good.:)

7. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I am in the process of rooting through my Macs in preparation to install Lion. My old Epson Perfection was one of my concerns. The Epson website isn't very clear on exactly what you need. However, I did find one website that had the Epson Scan utility for download and it said "drivers are built-in to Mac OS X 10.6 and later". Here's the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6656/epson-scan

So, I went into System Preferences, then selected Printers and Faxes (or whatever it's called). I found in there I could scan without using any other drivers. I have no idea how you set it up to scan via individual apps, but I've been using the Epson Scan utility for a while and it gets the job done for me. So, this looks like a workable solution.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X is not MS-DOS. You don't setup for individual applications. You install a driver once which makes the scanner available to all compatible applications. This means that Image Capture and TWAIN-compatible applications will work. The most that you have to do for setup is to select the proper device from the File/Aquire>TWAIN Aquire ... menu selection from whichever third-party application you use. From within Image Capture, you need only select your device from the Devices menu.