Flatbed scanner recommendation for non-tech parents (PC + Mac environment)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaperQueen, Aug 26, 2009.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Hi all,

After YEARS of cajoling, finally got my Mom to enter the computer age, now armed with a shiny new MacBook. She and Dad are verrrry low tech, so this is a big honkin’ deal.

We’re going to set up a wireless network in the house for Mom...Dad’s desktop is older and will remain wired. Ideally, I’m thinking Airport for the router, per my natural bias to all things Apple.

They also need a scanner. Here’s my question for you:

What flatbed scanner has the easiest user interface on earth and will work in a mixed (PC and Mac) environment?

They aren’t going to be getting into anything more complex than scanning text documents and photos. Need to keep it simple-simple-simple while still getting decent output on the pics.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My vote would be for a Canon model. I have a CanoScan 8800F which may be a little on the high side of your budget, which you haven't given us an inkling of. Not only is image quality superb, the supplied utilities and one-step buttons for emailing pictures, creating PDFs and copying are foolproof, if that's what you're looking for. It's versatile enough to do a respectable job on negatives and transparencies, it warms up and is ready to go within a second or two and scans fast.

I like Canon stuff. They seem to cater for Mac users at more than just a perfunctory level.

3. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

“Perfunctory level” is actually more their speed. Things like Photoshop will never be part of their vernacular.

I own a couple of Canons that I like, but the user interface is a bit complex-—especially on the Macs. Need to get into to a basic scanner (under $150) that can do a decent job with text docs and scan photos...no film.

Sorry not to include the price range earlier; assumed the “simple-simple-simple” comment would probably noodge things in the affordable direction automatically.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus