Flaw in OS X drag copying...?!?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clacknut, Aug 12, 2010.

1. clacknut macrumors member

Hi,
    I think I have found a flaw in OSX 10.6.4 file copying..

I normall back up my files, by dragging from a folder on my HD to an identical folder on my external HD.

The folder I am copying has 86 files in it, but there are only about two dozen new files added since my last back up.

I have been telling it by the dialogue box, not to replace identical files in the back up folder, and clicking the check box to apply to all."

but when I press the dont copy button, in the copy progress box it says it is copying 86 files. WTF is going on...!@#$%^&*().

I think there is a flaw in OSX. Anyone else find this problem.?

Regards, Sandy

2. clacknut thread starter macrumors member

just tried another way and it still does it

Hi, I just tried clicking the "don't copy" button for each file, when backing up a folder of 155 files on my HD to an external hard disk folder with 146 identical files on it.

I sat clicking that button madly over a hundred times, and in the end it still copied ALL the 155 files. (The back up will take 11 hours, as they are 500 meg EACH image files. a few 1 TB files also.)

Apple have a flaw in OSX....

Regards, Sandy

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use TimeMachine or other software.

Personally I use Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner and when the need arises rsync (terminal command) to back up my data, my system and my drives.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Agreed. Time Machine is part of the OS. Carbon Copy Cloner is superb freeware. I use it to occasionally backup my PM G5 to a 1.5 TB external HDD. Time Machine also requires a secondary driver. To maintain synchronized copies of certain folders between my HDD and removable storage, I use Synchronize! Pro X. Many users prefer the excellent ChronoSync. There are other file synchronization utilities. I use synchronization software to maintain copies of files between home and work.

I have my software set to update any file that has been changed or added since the last synchronization. I do not allow software to synchronize deletions. I manually delete each copy of files that I don't want.

5. clacknut thread starter macrumors member

Hi, have used time machine.

only thing slower than time machine is the service at my local McDonalds.... hahahhahhaha:D

so far it has taken 24 hours to back up my 2TB drive, and still about 10% left to go...

that is slow.

my drag copy files back up may take up to a half hour, which is speede gonzales rate compared to time machine.

What is it doing, running in USB 1....????

regards

Sandy

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The initial backup is painfully slow howeveer once that's done. The real strength and power of TM is its hourly incremental backups that occur in the background.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant