Flawless HD video playback on your iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by lavrishevo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lavrishevo, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

After a bit of research and messing around I have found a great player that can play .mkv 720 and 1080 flawlessly on the iPad 2. I have not tried the iPad 1 but it looks really good nonetheless.

May I suggest using iPhone explorer for Mac & PC to easily drag and drop your video files to your iPad.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

So the player is XBMC player.

Go to Cydia and add: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/

Download XBMC player

Use iPhone Explorer to create a folder in var/mobile. I created one called Video.

Once you copy the video files into the folder you created select the video tab in XBMC, then select add video, select Home Folder, select the video folder you created.

XMBC is a very powerful media player / streamer and I don't know all the options but the HD playback, even at 1080 encoded movie is fantastic. Tons of options as well.

You will notice that the application has been ported to work with iOS but there is no swiping and such. It uses the touchscreen to select the mouse click. This is not ideal by far but the benefits of HD playback far outweigh these pitfalls.

2. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

3. lavrishevo, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

VLC can't playback HD video locally stored. Or at least (old VLC player) does a terrible job at it, choppy any all messed up. Also, XBMC player is the only player I know of that can play .mkv files on the iPad. I'm
    Not talking about streaming, I'm talking about HD playback locally stored!

4. mikephotos macrumors newbie

AVPlayerHD works great on my iPad2 as well. Plays .mkv in bot 720p/1080p transferred via iTunes no prob. Just another option.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Thanks, I will check that one out. Was not aware there was another player that will do .mkv

6. y2flyy macrumors member

Hey OP another great thing about using XBMC on a jailbroken Ipad2. As you pointed out the touch navigation is less than ideal.

Download the app on your iphone called xbmc commander. And you can set this app (using your iphone) to control the xbmc interface on the ipad2.

Pretty nice!

7. Qoo macrumors 6502

You should correct the word that you type in the description

it should be 'XBMC' not 'XMBC' :apple:

8. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Good catch.

9. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

plex is better and easy both mac and pc server and clients. for all IOS devices

10. elpocholo7 macrumors newbie

I think XBMC is the best mediaplayer for ios devices out there, by far. I can stream a lot of my 1080p movies from my wireless G (not even N) to my iPad 2 without a hitch, once a touchscreen designed skin is out, it will be the definitive mediaplayer for iPad :)

11. Siggen macrumors 6502

I use XBMC and i use iTunes to transferre the files..

How? Easy...

I allready had Movie Player installed, so I made a symlink to its documents folder inside /var/mobile/Media and added the folder to XBMC.

Works great, i just add movies to Movie Player in ituens and they show up in XBMC.

12. CTBC macrumors member

There is a touch skin being made at the moment here. Also, there is a skin called PM3.HD that works quite well for the moment. But xbmc doesnt work with the hdmi adapter and DisplayOut in cydia doesnt work either.

13. Blindroad macrumors newbie

Buzz Player

I stopped looking after I found the Buzz Player Application. I have played 1080i mkv Bluray rips and they look amazing.

I have read some odd reviews stating that the player skips on higher resolution files but that is not my experience with this application.

I will still give XBMC a try. Thanks for the information.

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

whats wrong with just using VLC and adding them through itunes?

15. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I generally just use splashtop if I want to do anything from my pc because I don't like buying/having five different streaming apps on my iPad and pc for different things, though maybe im being silly and it's worth it. Maybe it hasn't bothered me because I have never tried to stream HD.

For sharing movies to the iPad local storage and playing them I have Azul media player and it seems to work fine, has anybody used it and the others being mentioned here? Any specific advantage to the others?

Once the camera connection fix is up I'll probably care a lot more, with my puny 16 gb storage I've 99% streamed Netflix or HBO for movies.

16. kalex macrumors 65816

I use HTPC running MCE 7 and I use air video to stream my HD recordings to my Ipad. Works great, doesn't require transfers via itunes or any other app and saves space on ipad. I do use XBMC on my HTPC and it is by far the best most versatile player made. It works perfectly on my HTPC and I have yet to have any file not being playable by XBMC.

17. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

AVPlayerHD has been playing every format under the sun since before the jailbreak without issue, without stutter and in perfect clarity.

18. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Heads up.

I added a couple of repos via cyberduck and my nas location. This is very nice.

19. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I use plex to, works great. I like the addition of the movie art and information etc plus its a nice remote control for the mac plex media player. I've gone from airvideo then streamtome and I think finally I can safely stick with plex instead.

As for keeping 720p mkv files locally on the iphone 4 and ipad 1, I've yet to come across an app that can play with without the movie stuttering so I'll give some of the apps mentioned above a try.

20. DN7335 macrumors 6502

I'll add my vote for AVPlayerHD. I've used many out there including VLC, yxplayer, Azul and others. I like AVPlayerHD the best, it supports multiple formats and has excellent file management support.

21. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

AVPlayerHD uses CPU decoding.

Does XBMC use CPU or GPU decoding?

22. Siggen macrumors 6502

By the way, I had about 4 hours and 30 minutes of hd audio playback yesterday on my planetrip.

Not bad, but i'd hope for a few hours more. Anyone try to check the hours AVPlayerHD does?

23. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

It does much less, CPU processing uses a lot more battery.