Fleksy Keyboard Goes Permanently Free, Adds Improved GIF and Sticker Browsing

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Third-party keyboard developer Fleksy today announced its popular keyboard app on iOS and Android will be going free on a permanent basis, increasing the potential customer base for full basic keyboard functionality while continuing to offer additional premium content such as themes and extension slots for in-app purchase. Fleksy has generally sold for $0.99 in the App Store, although it has occasionally been free for short periods of time.
    To thank users who previously paid for the app, Fleksy will be offering a set of free themes and extension slots that typically cost $8.

[​IMG]

In addition to the shift to a freemium model, Fleksy is also rolling out improvements to GIFs and stickers, building on a feature introduced in April. With the new "Highlights" view, users will be able to easily access relevant GIFs and stickers all in one place by searching and tapping on auto-suggested hashtag topics.

Like many third-party keyboards, Fleksy requires users grant "full access" to the keyboard, a capability that makes some users wary as Apple warns it allows keyboards to log keystrokes and send them back to remote servers. In a support document, Fleksy outlines the keyboard features such as language packs and personalization (as well as GIFs and stickers) that require full access to function, and the company outlines its privacy promises regarding the data it can collect and how it protects that data.

Fleksy Keyboard goes free on the App Store today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fleksy Keyboard Goes Permanently Free, Adds Improved GIF and Sticker Browsing

2. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Shouldn't have cost money in the first place...

3. Zxxv macrumors 68040

running it through google decipher

No ones buying our app.

running it through google decipher

we got paid a **** ton of money from you know who to give them access to you know what

disclaimer : this is meant as humour

4. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Still too expensive. None of these third party keyboards are stable and reliable enough to replace the stock one as an everyday keyboard. There is always some app or circumstance where they don't work properly or at all

5. tombaldwin macrumors newbie

tombaldwin

Stability of 3rd party keyboards has gotten a lot better with recent iOS updates.

Tom

6. miknos Suspended

miknos

I'm very happy with Swype. It could improve but I find it better than stock keyboard. And I don't need to give full access to work.

Asking the user to trust certain company; in this case a small one, is simply too much. Apple at least has much to lose if they get caught giving keylog to certain agencies.

With the Hacking Team incident hack, you realize iOS (without jailbreak) is quite secure.

I would give Fleksy a try if I didn't need to give full access to them.

7. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Does anyone know how to post a GIF here on an iPhone or iPad?

8. KALLT macrumors 601

But still not good enough.

9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

10. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

You managed to? Can you tell me how?

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

yep. blame apple. they really don't want these third-party keyboards to work

12. tombaldwin macrumors newbie

tombaldwin

I can't speak as a Flesky user but in general we're finding stability is now absolutely fine for daily use.

The full-access thing is a pain -- keyboards have to ask for the same level of permissions to provide corrections based on contacts as they would to echo everything typed over the internet...

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Post it in image quotes. Hit the image link above and it'll pop open a box. Put your link in that.

14. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Needs full access

I'm highly sceptical about doing that. :eek:

15. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

[​IMG]

Doesn't seem to work for me. I pasted it in, and it plays in my edit window, but when I post reply, it just appears as a crossed out box, as you can see. Could you reply to this post and see if the gif plays when you ooen it?

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Awesome! Now my keyboard can look like a MySpace profile. :D

17. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

I've had Fleksy for a couple months now and I actually really like it, except I wish it had access to Siri for voice dictation. But for texting I think it is way better than Swype (at least for the little bit I tried to use Swype). I like that I can make it smaller so it doesn't cover so much screen (using iP5). Slightly annoying that I could have got it for free now but hey.... :/

18. alexgowers macrumors 65816

Still getting crashes all the time and not even appearing, needing to kill app or restart. I'm using swype keyboard but all 3rd party keyboards are crashing. apple needs to sort the API out and make it work. Apple is loosing the plot on their software at the moment, it's like they miss massive huge gaping bugs on every bit of code they do these days. past two years has been bug-o-gedon.

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

It plays when I reply yes. It doesn't when I copy pasteit. The one bellow I asked for the desktop version so I could get the right url. It's the url you're using that is the problem as I also ran into the same issue.

[​IMG]

20. mrpbennett macrumors newbie

mrpbennett

I agree, I have been switching between SwiftKey, Flesky and the standard Apple one for weeks now. They're all great but the 3rd party ones still hold some bugs, especially when it comes to loading up the keyboard.

If apple were to enable an option to have a dark keyboard instead of a white one. Id be all over the standard one. I mean thats all i really want is a dark keyboard! IMO it looks nicer too