Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Yeah, I still won't be using any other third-party keyboards even when this is out. There's just no reason to, and my 5+ years of typing on iOS has made it faster for me to type on the default keyboard than most people I've ever seen anyway.

Yeah I believe people who are really comfortable with the iOS keyboard won't be looking into any 3rd party alternatives. I also type pretty fast using the default iOS keyboard but I would like lower case letters on top and the ability to long press for numbers.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Fleksy Offers Beta Preview as Keyboard Makers Look Forward to iOS 8

According to the developer docs, a custom keyboard is an extension of an App. So an App has to be installed, and the keyboard is part of the App. To turn on the keyboard, you go to Settings->General->Keyboard and add it as a keyboard. There's a category in the keyboard selection section for "purchased" keyboards where they'll show up. At least in beta 1.

That sucks. I don't want my iphone cluttered up with a bunch of Apple for keyboards. Why can't they just be extensions..... This seems pretty un Apple like.

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
ORLY. Your three year old phone was having trouble with an operating system made for far more advanced devices? WOW

Also, my girlfriend's 4S is still surprisingly snappy on iOS 7.

That's the best defence you can come up with? So according to you it's fine that a (then 2 year old phone) crashes, on a device that is so old, less advanced and redundant that Apple still stock it in their store?

And I could have complimented my Nexus 4 that worked equally well as my 5.

BRILLIANT! Truly the lamest comeback I've ever read. Thanks for the laugh.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Well Swype on android has multiple theme (including an ios-7ish white one), so I'd dare say that there'll be one on ios 8 too.

I hope it's exact. I love the stock white keyboard. I've switched all apps to it. I don't like the dark as much, and I haven't liked any white keyboards/themes I've seen.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What was that one keyboard we all saw a while back where the characters branched out from a thin stripe on the bottom of the screen? I wish I could remember it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ah.. big fat keys....

For my big Fat fingers.

I'll just stick this in the same section as "Allowing Touch ID third party access'

I'd be really interested here...

How can you possibly keep something secure wile at the same time also allowing third party API's ?

Sorry, it doesn't work..... WHile Apple is unknown to this, they will re-assure users that its "still sceure", but wait....

we now have a hack to take control of that 3rd party keyboard.....

Apple's response: oh ya, well we thought it was...

SteveyAppleSeed

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Finally...

Honestly, the iOS keyboard has always been such garbage. The prediction engine is way overzealous and it still won't learn certain words for some reason. And that the keyboard INSISTS on correcting curse words tells me that's the ghost of Steve Jobs keeping things as G-rated as a Pixar flick.

Swiftkey, at least on Android, was always the fastest for me and had the best prediction engine. I know some people love Swype, but I can't swipe faster than I can swipe across letters; it still feels gimmicky, but it's a nice change of pace.

Good riddance to the "old" iOS keyboard. Disaster.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the only thing holding me back from getting an iPhone is that swype is missing... i can't believe they haven't bought them out but maybe samsung have offer them too much money not to as they are very tightly integrated on the Samsung phones.....

iOS 8 also offer a few extra things that were not show stoppers but definitely help the argument for the switch to Apple....

now the only issue for me is the wait and deciding whether to go for the 4.7 or the 5.5 version :)
Swype is owned by Nuance that does a lot of speech recognition and provides a lot of backend Siri and dictation stuff for Apple, so in a sense they are probably closer to Apple than Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.