Fleorolastemer band: any aluminum in it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eoblaed, Mar 31, 2015.

1. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Strongly considering getting the black SS with an extra fleorolastemer band as I will use it for a lot of mountain trail runs. Concerned about the possibility of galvanic interaction however in a salty environment between aluminum and the SS of the watch.

I haven't found any pics or vids yet showing the hidden part of the band where it sits in the watch. Anyone have any definitive data on this?

2. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

At the risk of being gauche and answering my own question, I just read that the fluoroelastomer band uses a stainless steel pin, so, no worries!

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I'd go as far as to say that there's no danger of galvanic corrosion, unless MAYBE if you were to say, completely immerse the aluminium watch and a stainless steel band in brine, and why the hell would you do that? :p Even then, the alloys used by Apple might not react galvanically with each other, and the watch isn't waterproof to begin with, so immersing it in anything (and much less a corrosive solution like salt water) is inadvisable and might potentially void its warranty.

4. Ries, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

Ries macrumors 68000

Rubber, "fleorolastemer" is just a fancy word for a synthetic rubber. It is so you don't feel bad about paying $50 for something that cost apple less than a dollar to make.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So does the same apply for all the plastic smartphones that often get referred to as 'polycarbonate' by the tech press? And how did you get a hold of Apple's BOM for the Watch?

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Remind us all how people here refer to Samsung Phones which have in the past been made of various hi-tech man made materials?

7. Ries macrumors 68000

1 kg of Fleorolastemer is $20 for low volumen buys like 50kg

http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...detailVBzxufwjrkhC/China-Fluoroelastomer.html

Ever seen samsung insisting on calling it 'polycarbonate' when someone says plastics?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The actual materials cost is usually a very small component of the total cost.

As for Samsung, it doesn't look like they'll be using polycarbonate in their flagship phones anymore.

9. Ries macrumors 68000

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The danger would be if people wear their aluminum Sport watch with one of the SS bands while working out. Sweat (salt) can easily get in between, especially if the anodized coating inside the aluminum connectors gets worn down with use.

Galvanic corrosion can also occur in the absence of liquid contact, e.g., if you leave it outside in an marine environment, but nobody would do that to a watch.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

12. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

The SS watches (non black) come with the sport bands at the lowest price point, so definitely not an issue!

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

That's just an unfounded assumption. Have you ever seen a watch suffer galvanic corrosion? Many watches, including those intended for sports and exercise, frequently feature aluminium backs held in place with steel screws for example. I've had G-Shocks and a Polar for example with just that kind of construction, and never any issues whatsoever.

If you ever manage to make your Watch rust you're doing something seriously wrong. Just wash off your watch after exercising, not because of your sweat corroding it, but because a sweaty watch is yucky. Problem solved! ;)

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How about a yes (although it's a Nike fuel band rather than a watch)?

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It's still just anecdotal evidence, it doesn't mean anything relating to the AW. We should worry about things that actually are real, not fret over things that aren't even relevant yet, as the watch won't go on sale for almost another month.

16. Julien, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have never owned a Nike Fuel but had a close friend (and several others) who had one and I didn't remember seeing any aluminum. Just did a search and according to Wikipedia it doesn't contain aluminum.

EDIT: Jut read the linked post (guess I should have done that first :eek:) and it states the screws are aluminum, which sounds plausible. Although aluminum is a weak choice for screws.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You asked for anecdotal evidence ("Have you ever seen or heard of this happening?") and I provided it.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

*Sigh*
    You recognize rethorical statements when you see them, yes? As in, galvanic corrosion as related to armwear (is that actually a word? *ahem*) is practically for all intents and purposes a non-existing issue. It's not worth spending time, or even thought, discussing.

Your Apple Watch isn't going to rust on your arm.

End of story, okay?