Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flexibits is well-known for its popular calendar app Fantastical available across Apple's platforms, but it also offers a contacts management app, Cardhop, that goes above and beyond what Apple's stock Contacts app offers.

Coinciding with its 10th anniversary, Flexibits this week is introducing Cardhop 2.0 for Mac, iPhone, and iPad, with an all-new design. It also brings a number of new features that supplement the powerful parsing engine that makes it easy to manage your contacts and initiate actions such as messages and calls by typing a quick line of text:
  • Relationships: View relationships among your contacts in a family tree view, or even view company org charts that can be automatically generated from Google and Office 365 entries.
  • Widgets: With Notification Center and Home Screen widgets, you can easily set up quick access for frequent contacts by simply specifying a person and an action, and widget setups can sync across your devices.
  • Business card scanning: Add contacts by simply scanning a business card with the camera on your iPhone or iPad. Cardhop will automatically recognize relevant data fields and populate them, and will also save a picture of the business card with the entry.
  • Fantastical integration: Invite a single contact or a group of contacts to events via Fantastical.
cardhop-2-ipad-recents.jpg

Fantastical made the shift to a subscription app last year, offering a free tier with limited functionality and a premium tier that unlocks full functionality for the app. Cardhop is now following suit, but with a catch – Fantastical and Cardhop are now bundled together in a single Flexibits Premium subscription at the same price as the previous Fantastical Premium.

cardhop-2-iphone.jpg

Pricing for Flexibits Premium comes in at $4.99 per month or $39.99 per year (a 33% discount compared to monthly), with a 14-day free trial. A family plan for up to five family members is also available, priced at $7.99 per month or $64.99 per year.

Existing Fantastical Premium subscribers will be automatically upgraded to Flexibits Premium to receive access to Cardhop 2.0. Users who previously purchased Cardhop 1 will be able to download Cardhop 2 and continue to use all of the features that were included in Cardhop 1, but will need to subscribe to Flexibits Premium to unlock the new capabilities.

Article Link: Flexibits Launches Cardhop 2.0 Contacts Management App, Now Included With Fantastical Premium Subscription

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I know people complain about subscription model, but Fantastical has a very nice value for its price, and offers all the basic features you need in the free version. Glad to see this update for Cardhop!
I have a hard time seeing the value add for a subscription calendar and contacts viewer. The heavy lifting of storing the data even is where your email is stored. No push notifications. Etc.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I was already using Fantastical (despite their move to subscription) so this is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
I get my money's worth out of my fantastical subscription and then some.

love the app, card hop addition is a great bonus.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I wish Apple bought Fantastical+Cardhop to revamp contacts+phone and calendar.

I just had to renew my Fantastical subscription (can't believe it's been a year...) and only did a month for now. Want to see if Apple revamps the iOS calendar this year at WWDC, like they did Reminders a few years ago.

Although since Fantastical was named app of the year last year, Apple may be weary of Sherlocking them.

Reactions: 4487549

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What?! Almost every single comments are in a praise for subscription?

But seriously, bundling is an example of when subscription can work, such as Apple One, Creative Cloud, and Microsoft 365. It's too bad Flexibits wasn't able to make Chatology work. I really like the potentials of that app.

Edit: My only remaining quibble with Flexibits Premium pricing is a separate family plan. $39.99/year (instead of $64.99/year) for both Cardhop and Fantastical for up to 5 members would've been more enticing.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
So what happens to your contacts and calendar info when you don't renew your subscription?
What happens to your contacts and calendar info if they go out of business?

fwmireault

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
So what happens to your contacts and calendar info when you don't renew your subscription?
What happens to your contacts and calendar info if they go out of business?
Fantastical and Cardhop are just client apps. They take your existing data (Google, iCloud, Microsoft etc calendar accounts) and your existing contact infos. Updating your contact info on Cardhop will update the stock Apple contact info too. It’s just the extra features and the interface that you loose. Anyway, all that works without subscription, as there is a free version of these apps

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I'm starting to think Apple has forgotten they have a Contacts app. Don't think either the Mac or iOS versions have been updated with anything obvious since they removed the skeuomorphism. Thankful that Flexibits is around to fill that void.
I'm starting to randomly lose contact info for people that I've had stored for years, and interact with regularly. I have so many backups that I've archived over the years, I've been tempted to export to Numbers (my only use for Numbers because Apple has excellent export functionality that only works with Numbers), nuke iCloud Contacts, merge everything, and start over.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
I got CardHop when John Gruber sang its praises some years back. Never could really understand what was so great or useful about it though.

Can someone enlighten me?
I'm in the same boat. I liked it and sang its praises for a while, but eventually ended up reaching for Contacts more often than not. I don't even think I have it installed any more, despite buying it back in the day.

Likewise, I don't "get" Fantastical. I owned and liked Version 1, but was disappointed by both the new look and subscription pricing when it moved to version 2 (then 3), so moved on. I've since found I could get all the same functionality of the old version (which is all I ever wanted) for a one-time $15 fee from Calendar 366, which I now use religiously.

Chatology, also from Flexibits, was a godsend for a while as it provided a band-aid for sudden shortcomings in Messages, but Apple seems to have eliminated the need for it in recent MacOS updates.

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I wish Apple bought Fantastical+Cardhop to revamp contacts+phone and calendar.
I've often wished the same, but then again Fantastical is constantly iterating and if Apple had it, would have to wait a year for feature updates. And Apple isn't one to allow so much customization. Some things I prefer about Apple Calendar, but few core things they are missing such as Apple Calendar can't display scheduled reminder items, can't hide items, no natural language parsing of events and no time until event watch complications. Reminders has natural language parsing, but it's like 1.0 version compared to Fantastical's that has been improved so much over the years. But for everything else, Apple could easily add those missing core features if they wanted without buying the app, and then enough people might switch back to Apple Calendar, that Fantastical might not be able to survive. So wouldn't make much sense in that regard for them to buy the company. I think apple prefers to keep their core apps as simple as possible and add maybe one of the power use features every couple of years as tent pole feature. Just like how Mail still lacks so many of the features third party apps have had for countless years.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I'm starting to randomly lose contact info for people that I've had stored for years, and interact with regularly. I have so many backups that I've archived over the years, I've been tempted to export to Numbers (my only use for Numbers because Apple has excellent export functionality that only works with Numbers), nuke iCloud Contacts, merge everything, and start over.

I've never had that happen personally, but I remember seeing more than a few stories about issue with the contacts database with very similar sets of circumstances tied to the Big Sur update. For all of them an export, nuke of everything in iCloud and then re-adding them again had to be done.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.