Flexible AMOLed screen (Samsung)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EstrlM3, Oct 15, 2010.

1. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

2. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I don't know I'm only on here to read stuff about my iPhone and some of my other Apple product.

3. Silenthillnight macrumors member

well thank you for posting a reply that's completely pointless. I'm sure as of now, the flexible amoled screen has a much higher production cost but wow is it nice :)

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Apple will use this type of screen once it's affordable and theres an implementation for it without taking away the Retina Display.

I see a big update from Apple of soon coming out with a 3.7" 4" Super AMOLED Retina Display. Maybe the 6th generation.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

*waits for the apple fanboys to come in and start saying that AMOLED sucks and IPS is infinitely better, just bc Jobs said so*

TBH i think AMOLED is better than IPS. I have no problems using my Nexus One's screen in sunlight and imo the colors pop out more.
    Not sure how apple would add this to their products though, if/when prices drop. FlexiPad? :p

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

FlexiPad will only make the name of the iPad which everyone thought of as a tampon to be even worse.

But yeah having the iPad be slightly flexible and thin to withstand drops and cracking would be awesome!

No more cases for once!

7. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Mark my words, in a few years. A display like this will be in the iPhone.

8. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Totally agree.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

i dont get this. flexible screen maybe is better use at decorstion, like when you have to puta screen on thr pillars so it will fit nicely for showing advertisement in public area.

but flexibel screen in a phone? why would we need that? eventhough someone makes a flexible phone, doesn't mean that the inside hardware will be flexible and bendable too.

one point i can think of for this to be in iPhone is when we drop the phone, the screen gonna be more resistance of breaking.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Someday you're going to wonder why you asked that question :)

Besides being able to make those famous pull-out-the-screen from a small cylinder phones we see on SciFi shows...

Kyocera showed their idea of a wallet-phone a couple of years ago, made with a flexible screen folded in three:

Attached Files:

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

While a flexible screen is nice... the rest of the phone (meaning the circuit boards that house the memory, radios, processors, touch matrix, etc) all have to be flexible too.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.... especially the battery. Flexible batteries filled with acids that you keep in your pocket next to your groin are just a bad idea

This technology will be more useful for media-players with fold out or expandable screens. Not phones so much

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It does seem like a very cool technology. I too have a hard time seeing the advantage to flexibility in a touchscreen phone, but there was a time when I thought multi-touch was just "interesting" too.

As for IPS vs. super AMOLED, it's all a matter of timing and implementation.

Right now, I'll take a high pixel density IPS display over the currently available S-AMOLED any day of the week.

But AMOLED is getting better everytime you turn around, (ala Nokia) and next year the picture may look VERY different. (pun half intended) :)

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed. Would be cool on a phone but somewhat impractical. Perhaps something like this would be the next type of tablet? That would be cool.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's exactly why I mentioned two form factors that handle that:

1) The common idea of a display that unrolls from within a cylinder that houses the rest of the electronics + battery.

2) Kyocera's idea of folding it in half or three like a wallet. Voila, the batteries and circuits can be rigid... just the screen folds.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, this is great for reading and watching things. So things that are used primarily as web, book, and magazine readers or movie players would use this kind of screen

But a phone is typed ON just as much as it's looked AT. Texting, video games, spreadsheets, e-mail...all of these things would be worse on a screen that won't stay stiff. (Imagine playing Angry Birds on that thing.)

I just can't see a flexible iPhone being the primary product. A secondary "flexi-iPod-Touch?" Sure! And it'll be really cool. But as "THE" iPhone? I don't see it.

EDIT: As was mentioned above, I would say that a large iPhone that folds in half could be possible. My only point is that, once it's open, the phone needs to be stiff. So, 'foldable,' yes. 'Bendable,' no.

16. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well, since we're already talking about future tech, how about a screen that goes flexible when you want it to roll/fold, the stiffs up when you start typing.

On a side note: Where's my flying car and robotic house servant?

17. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Thats a use I'm looking forward too. would be great if the iPad could do this in later generations. This would mean the iPad can be pocketable/more portable.

18. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I would say it could go in an iPhone just because it wont crack. That alone would be an amazing marketing feature.

19. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I was being sarcastic bud, cool it lol.

20. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I don't want to be playing origami with my phone every time I want to use it, or having to use both hands. But to each its own.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sounds perfect. Could use memory wire, pnuematic tubes, or even a mechanical pulley/tape arrangement with interlocking pieces. Lots of ways to make something do what they need.

Sure, for common phone use you want a slab (or a flip). But it'd be neat if you could also pull out an 8" wide bigscreen from one side (*) to watch videos or show photos on. That'll definitely be coming someday.

Cheers!

(*) Or pull the phone apart in the middle into two pieces, with the screen unrolling between them.

22. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

This was my first thought... not so much the screen itself being flexible as in bending but the screen being flexible as in it wont ever break (or would be extremely hard to break it)

23. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's cool BUT wouldn't the digitizer still have to be glass?
    And isn't that what people crack anyway? And this seems like its plastic which seems scratchy...

24. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Does look cool. Anyway I'm just gana make this into cloths and wallpaper. I will be rich!